LaunchBox Community Forums

Library Scroll : Wall View Centric Theme [Updated for Launchbox 11.10]

UX3EuTx.jpg
RqyDw0B.jpg

I recommend setting background transitions to Quick Fade and videos to Fade for the theme to display properly.

aesWPDG.jpg

Spoiler

Looking for a theme with a wall view that highlights video while still letting you scroll through a grid of box art or clear logos. Something with the video display at least half resolution to the total screen area.

I made some crude mock-ups:

KOpqWnY.png
Or perhaps:
t3jjxLP.png
(With the box art not quite so small, and faded out towards the bottom)

HOvxs2c.jpg
Tt4GICM.jpg
Anyone know of any themes that have views like this?  I'd like to be able to scroll through some of my larger playlists quickly without resorting to a text list.

Library Scroll v0.3.zip

Edited by crispy4000
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Made another mock-up based on the Aeon MQ7 theme, the only theme auto-listed with a wall+video view.

UzfNru6.jpg

The theme itself puts the video in the top left corner, at that small resolution, and shows more boxes.

Not sure I like the placement of the additional images, might want to reverse them, etc.  And adding a border around the selected game would be preferable. Would anyone consider adding a similar view to (their) existing theme?  Or point me in a direction of one that already does?

Edited by crispy4000

gupxqeZ.jpg
Decided to upload my first pass at it.  Let me know if you have any comments, criticisms or suggestions! Tried to make it snappy to browse but still with a little flair.  I recommend setting background transitions to Quick Fade and videos to Fade.

I don't know anything about the etiquette of using images from other themes here, so for now I stuck with star images from the default one.

Edited by crispy4000
removed old version
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went back to work on this again, I'm looking for feedback before I publish to the download section.  Thanks, and have fun!

v0.2
- Created two platform views, with horizontal and vertical scroll wheels.
- Wall view: Created a slight zoom/fade effect highlighting videos and clear logo when idle.
- Wall view: Changed fonts for game score.
- Wall view: Adjusted fade timings.

Edited by crispy4000
  • Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Preview of what I've been working on.  Manged to fit 9 games per row now!  There's so much less wasted space.

Normal scrolling:
GcAGDQt.jpg

Zoomed Video/Faded when idle:
FclGlCL.jpg

Wish I could fade the non-higlighted boxes further as the background dims, but that might be beyond my very scrappy coding ability.

One more screen capture showing multiple rows:
RqyDw0B.jpg

Edited by crispy4000
  • Like 2

Found a good compromise for the faded view.  The top and bottom of the wall now fades as the rest of the screen does.  It actually might look better this way than what I originally intended.  It's kind of a mix between the default theme and POC.

UX3EuTx.jpg

And with that, I feel confident to release another preview build.

v0.3:
- Updated Wall View to be compatible with Launchbox 11.10.
- 9x3 grid, with selected game highlighted
- Fading effect improved, highlights current row.
- Minor timing/transparency adjustments
- Pulsing white arrow added to horizontal platform wheel view.
- Minor timing adjustments to this view as well, videos move smoother.

Download found in first post.

Edited by crispy4000
  • crispy4000 changed the title to Library Scroll : Wall View Centric Theme [Updated for Launchbox 11.10]

@crispy4000 Theme looks good. I like the subtle fade with the highlight staying on the game in the active row and the clear logo. So far it runs pretty smooth with no errors. I do want to mention I had to rename the folder the just "List Scroll" as I was not getting images for the ESRB and the Stars. Since you named the folder List Scroll v0.3 inside the zip it was not finding the images since the theme is looking for "List Scroll" folder name.

Also recommend either adding a scroll text for the platform names or an expanding text box/label for platforms with longer names.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 3.56.30 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks, that's all really helpful!  I've updated the folder name in the zip file, so that should fix the ESRB issue.

My focus isn't the other views right now, they're tacked on admittedly.  But I'll look into fixing the platform name issue.

Edited by crispy4000
  • Like 1