Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

10.15-beta-1 Released

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, new Windows 10 did not help. Just hold the left mouse button and move around the boxes. It will gradually go up to 8 or 9 GB of RAM untill system crashes. I had no idea before, but it ate my virtual memory, too, when LB was open long enough for days.

Edited by Pixel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

The multiple discs badge will show up if you have more than one additional app on the game with the Disc property set.

I see, thanks.

So for games with 2 discs only (one being the main game and the other set up as an additional app) it is not supposed to show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no because when it make an additional app (at least in my experience) it always make two one for the additional app and a duplicate of the facing rom. Now if you remove the facing ROM from the additional app I don't know if that may effect it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CMOSS said:

I'm using Trend Micro Internet Security 2020.

Good to know, thanks. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pixel said:

Unfortunately, new Windows 10 did not help. Just hold the left mouse button and move around the boxes. It will gradually go up to 8 or 9 GB of RAM untill system crashes. I had no idea before, but it ate my virtual memory, too, when LB was open long enough for days.

Well that's interesting to know at least. Is it a unique issue when you hold down the left mouse button? Does it still happen if you just click on items instead? That's not a typical way to use the app so I can't say I've ever tested for memory issues doing that. I've done a small bit of testing and haven't replicated it, but we might still be onto something there.

If that's not it, it may be data-related. If you can zip up or send me your data, I can try testing with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thornback said:

I see, thanks.

So for games with 2 discs only (one being the main game and the other set up as an additional app) it is not supposed to show?

 

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

no because when it make an additional app (at least in my experience) it always make two one for the additional app and a duplicate of the facing rom. Now if you remove the facing ROM from the additional app I don't know if that may effect it or not.

Yeah, when multi-disc games are imported, two or more additional apps are created. One for each disc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DOS76 @Jason Carr

Hang on, this is interesting. Is there a particular way of importing multi-disc roms?

Currently I am importing disc 1 as the main entry in LB, then proceed to select disc 2 as an additional app (manually). Is that not right?

Sorry for taking this off-topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LB should do it automatically when you import them. If they are named correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Well that's interesting to know at least. Is it a unique issue when you hold down the left mouse button? Does it still happen if you just click on items instead? That's not a typical way to use the app so I can't say I've ever tested for memory issues doing that. I've done a small bit of testing and haven't replicated it, but we might still be onto something there.

If that's not it, it may be data-related. If you can zip up or send me your data, I can try testing with it.

I did it to test things fast (within a few minutes). Yes, it still happens but it can take a day or two. It depends how much you browse the games etc. RAM should be freed but it just does not happen.  I will try with a clean set up to see if it's data related.

I also noticed that I can't left click to select anything after launch. I have to right click, edit first, to be able to left click, and use LB.

---------

I recreated data folder and imported Atari 2600. Working OK. So it must be data (or media) related. My LB set up is over 184 GB of media :D

---------

BTW, audit error that I reported before is gone now :)  That error was data related.

Basically, this error is related to additional apps. I imported Windows platform and happens again. I think that something went wrong during import of GOG, Steam games when they were combined during the import. I can see that GOG games are duplicated in additional apps tab. I will test things later.

Edited by Pixel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pixel said:

I did it to test things fast (within a few minutes). Yes, it still happens but it can take a day or two. It depends how much you browse the games etc. RAM should be freed but it just does not happen.  I will try with a clean set up to see if it's data related.

I also noticed that I can't left click to select anything after launch. I have to right click, edit first, to be able to left click, and use LB.

---------

I recreated data folder and imported Atari 2600. Working OK. So it must be data (or media) related. My LB set up is over 184 GB of media :D

---------

BTW, audit error that I reported before is gone now :)  That error was data related.

Basically, this error is related to additional apps. I imported Windows platform and happens again. I think that something went wrong during import of GOG, Steam games when they were combined during the import. I can see that GOG games are duplicated in additional apps tab. I will test things later.

Interesting. Can you zip up and PM your data folder? That way I can confirm what's happening. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Interesting. Can you zip up and PM your data folder? That way I can confirm what's happening. :)

I don't want to take your time, so I tested it myself. I deleted and created new data folder with default settings and imported 1200 games from Steam. All fresh files, only one platform. Scrolling down and clicking the boxes will sooner or later increase RAM. The taken RAM is not freed. When I leave LB without shutting it down and start doing something else, the RAM does not change even a byte.  I will monitor it, but at least we can exclude the data folder and Audit error now.

Just combined a few games. And...

1.thumb.png.58f2a4681eccbdedafcab632c8a748f3.png

Edited by Pixel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I don't want to take your time, so I tested it myself. I deleted and created new data folder with default settings and imported 1200 games from Steam. All fresh files, only one platform. Scrolling down and clicking the boxes will sooner or later increase RAM. The taken RAM is not freed. When I leave LB without shutting it down and start doing something else, the RAM does not change even a byte.  I will monitor it, but at least we can exclude the data folder and Audit error now.

Could it be related to Attract mode?
I am still getting crashes, but only in attract mode now. Still troubleshooting and looking for a pattern before I bring it up to jason. I was getting them all the time when I had my RAM clocked at its advertised speed. But once I set it to Auto in my BIOS, that got rid of most of the crashes; now I am left with crashes only during Attract mode. I can almost see it coming. Attract mode starts off fine, then it starts struggling with showing the games Clear Logos, stops showing them, then crashed to desktop... Task manager shows nothing is open, but I am missing my cursor as if I was still i BigBox. BigBox is the only program I have this happen... doesn't ever happen in Launchbox either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ItchyRobot said:

Could it be related to Attract mode?
I am still getting crashes, but only in attract mode now. Still troubleshooting and looking for a pattern before I bring it up to jason. I was getting them all the time when I had my RAM clocked at its advertised speed. But once I set it to Auto in my BIOS, that got rid of most of the crashes; now I am left with crashes only during Attract mode. I can almost see it coming. Attract mode starts off fine, then it starts struggling with showing the games Clear Logos, stops showing them, then crashed to desktop... Task manager shows nothing is open, but I am missing my cursor as if I was still i BigBox. BigBox is the only program I have this happen... doesn't ever happen in Launchbox either.

maybe something in here

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 4:23 PM, Jason Carr said:

Are you able to reproduce this every time? Have you tried rebooting? In the past, performance issues like this have typically been caused by some other app on your system creating a conflict.

Yes, this happens every time. I tried rebooting. I have disabled pretty much all apps except for Discord just to test this and I did not see any improvements. Of course I disabled and terminated any background programs and services I could as well.
I also added an exclusion folder for Luanchbox to my Windows Defender since someone said they fixed it by disabling it.

I traced its hanging point and Launchbox seems to have trouble getting information from controllers by the looks it, but I have no controllers or any type of dongles connected to or was connected in that session (since boot). Turning them on or connecting them before/after launching Launchbox did not fix it.
The only peripherals connected to are a microphone, and mouse & keyboard with no manufacture software running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, Pixel said:

1.thumb.png.58f2a4681eccbdedafcab632c8a748f3.png

@Jason Carr I did more tests, but I have no proper solution. I turned off all the screenshots in the details panel and the problem is gone. So the images in the details panel seem to cause this problem. Boxes, videos, and metadata  work with no issues. Also, the performance is dramatically better.

-------

Yes, the issue comes down to details panel images (screenshots or whatever). With this turned off, there is no way RAM would go above 2 GB RAM, on average it's from a little below 1 GB to 1,5 GB of RAM depending on the platform. It also frees RAM properly when it goes up for a while.

When I turn on screenshots in the details panel, there comes a moment when after a click it suddenly goes up really quickly, something breaks it, then it stacks up and up after each click little by little untill it eats all the RAM sooner or later.  I have to restart my system. That being said.

-------

Changing themes doesn't matter. Number of images or platforms and games, too.

-------

That's why Atari 2600 worked fine. I have no screenshots on this platform. Just videos and boxes/covers.

 

 

Edited by Pixel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can customimagetype work on transition presenter or no?

 

To be honest, I can't get it to work at all.

 

Edited by Android16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Android16 said:

Can customimagetype work on transition presenter or no?

 

To be honest, I can't get it to work at all.

 

That is best posted in the custom xaml thread. It is not beta testing related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh? But this is one of the new features right? This isn't a tips or tricks question. It's asking how this new feature works.  Is it only for Flowcontrol or for all instance where you can use images?

I'll ask there anyway.

Edited by Android16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Android16 said:

Huh? But this is one of the new features right? This isn't a tips or tricks question. It's asking how this new feature works.  Is it only for Flowcontrol or for all instance where you can use images?

I'll ask there anyway.

It is a new feature that was added a couple version ago. I believe 10.11 is when the dynamic duo added custom image types for Wheel and Cover Flow. The xaml thread is more suited also as that is where most of our coders help each other out and looking at that thread it looks like you already got a faster response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...