Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

11.3-beta-1 Released


Jason Carr

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 15 is out now with the following:

  • Fixed some rare pause/startup screen issues (primarily for Microsoft Store apps, but some other things may be affected as well)
  • Hopeful fix for @Wanderer189's VLC audio still playing issue in LaunchBox
  • Hopeful fix for the VLC video resizing issue in LaunchBox

Keep in mind that we haven't been able to replicate the bottom two issues, so I'm just hoping that they're fixed based on the changes that I made.

@Jason Carr I am not 100% sure, but I think ya got it fixed in this one Jason. Been editing a couple hours without it happening a single time!!! Keep your toes crossed..:P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am also still experiencing the game videos re-sizing issue as well with Beta 15.  In my previous description within this thread, I referred to it as video Glitches. Respectfully speaking, It honestly makes the front end UN useable for me at least in its current state. My scroll wheels are also experiencing artifacting, and the text inside my themes option menu keeps expanding , then de-spanding in size and the text garbles.

Ive tried everything imaginable on my end to no avail.  Only solution is to go back to 11.2 official release, then all the problems go away.  @Jason Carr also asked if I was using any Plugins in a previous reply (thank you) .... to answer that, I am Not using any plugins. My plugins folder is empty.

Does it come down to a fresh install of windows 10 for me?  I really don't think it is the OS since reverting to Previous 11.1 and 11.2 builds work fine for me.

Thanks-

Edited by MazJohn [Mr Arcade]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@neil9000 @Krakerman It's helpful to know that it doesn't happen with the Old Default theme. I've made the new Default theme match the XAML of the Old Default theme for the game details view as much as possible for the next beta, in hopes that that will fix the issue. It shouldn't, but as whack as that issue is, it might.

16 hours ago, Parse said:

I have the exact same issue, but I haven't installed the beta yet, I'm using the stable 11.0 release. Also probably not related, but I'm using the LBPlex condensed theme.

It happens when: 1. right clicking a game; 2. when after clicking edit and view the images - pressing the >

But it is random and I can't reproduce everytime I want. Didn't count, but the chance of happening is about 5% of the time on my end. I'm adding some translated games so I'm right clicking and edit a lot.

 

Probably not the right place, but I have some suggestions:

. It would be nice to limit the amount of images downloaded of a category, like I got 10 ingame screenshots but I just wanted 1 and have to remove those by hand;

. An easy way as an option to choose what it comes first on the game details column. Like the screenshot before the notes, etc.

. Typing on launchbox to be similar to windows, like if type ch fast, it should be a game starting with ch, but on launchbox it goes to the last typed letter.

. Some more love to the wall view on big box, it would be awesome to have a wall view that has the same features and look close to launchbox. I tried to edit some themes to add a wall view but got discouraged that is lacking a lot of options (the zoom out when selecting a game is 3D and not at the axis of the game; selecting a game is always centered so the wall view begins scrolled down, couldn't find a way to add the names of the games in front of the boxart like in the lauchbox, sort by favorites or star rating, etc.)

Have you tested the latest beta release to see if the delays have improved for you?

Per the feature requests, it would be best to put those in BitBucket (Help & Support > Request a Feature in the header). Some of them already exist though.

7 hours ago, BBuser2k said:

Hi, 

is it possible to see the Version under the box art? I can't see the version anywhere. Neither under the box art nor on the right side.Version.thumb.png.1a9c881b074fd018a56996343e7ce2d8.png

View > Show Versions will show the versions next to the game text.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, deliyuerek85 said:

Since the Beta 13 BigBox is crashing/closing when I close a game. It does not matter how I close the game (Pause Menu or button shortcut or ALT+F4). There is no error message or anything.

When I go back to Beta 12 everything is fine. This problem still exists in Beta 15.

This is weird, because when I look at the changes we made for beta 13, it doesn't make sense that any issues like this would be introduced. Can you test once more to make 100% sure that beta 12 does not have the issue, and beta 13 specifically does?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

I am also still experiencing the game videos re-sizing issue as well with Beta 15.  In my previous description within this thread, I referred to it as video Glitches. Respectfully speaking, It honestly makes the front end UN useable for me at least in its current state. My scroll wheels are also experiencing artifacting, and the text inside my themes option menu keeps expanding , then de-spanding in size and the text garbles.

Ive tried everything imaginable on my end to no avail.  Only solution is to go back to 11.2 official release, then all the problems go away.  @Jason Carr also asked if I was using any Plugins in a previous reply (thank you) .... to answer that, I am Not using any plugins. My plugins folder is empty.

Does it come down to a fresh install of windows 10 for me?  I really don't think it is the OS since reverting to Previous 11.1 and 11.2 builds work fine for me.

Thanks-

It makes zero sense that the video resizing issue that @neil9000 is running into would make the frontend "UN useable". Either you have a completely different issue, or you're finding a very minor issue to be way more significant than makes sense. The video resizing issue we were discussing only happens in LaunchBox. Is your issue in LaunchBox or Big Box? It sounds like it's in Big Box.

Probably the best first step in troubleshooting your Big Box issues would be to turn on debug logging under Tools > Options > General > Debugging in LaunchBox. Then if you can send me some log files from your LaunchBox\Logs folder after running Big Box, that might help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It makes zero sense that the video resizing issue that @neil9000 is running into would make the frontend "UN useable"

Yeah there is zero performance hit for my issue, its just unsightly is all. :) 

2 hours ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

Jason Carr also asked if I was using any Plugins in a previous reply (thank you) .... to answer that, I am Not using any plugins. My plugins folder is empty.

Themes themselves can use plugins and they store them in the themes folder, not the Plugins folder. What Bigbox theme are you using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It makes zero sense that the video resizing issue that @neil9000 is running into would make the frontend "UN useable". Either you have a completely different issue, or you're finding a very minor issue to be way more significant than makes sense. The video resizing issue we were discussing only happens in LaunchBox. Is your issue in LaunchBox or Big Box? It sounds like it's in Big Box.

Probably the best first step in troubleshooting your Big Box issues would be to turn on debug logging under Tools > Options > General > Debugging in LaunchBox. Then if you can send me some log files from your LaunchBox\Logs folder after running Big Box, that might help.

1.jpg.6a2e17c1e8c645e2af187dcd92a12ec3.jpg2.jpg.70e6b65261e5e5b11fff4da6b6eab304.jpgscreenshots attached showing garbled text or missing text. occurs as you scroll through menu list. This happens on all 3 themes that I currently use which include unified, Unified Redux, and Unified Refried.  Logs enabled and attached after booting into Big Box for a short time.  Issue has nothing to do with "Launchbox" .... it happens in BigBox only. Game video glitching is hard to screen cap because it keeps resizing in and out very quickly.  I wasnt aware themes had their own plugins such as as stated by @Neil9000 so i guess i will check that next.   Thanks.

* Update -  My Themes folder includes the following plugins:

1- unified.hyperbox.dll (in unified and unified redux)

2- unified.hyperbox.dll +unbroken.launchbox.plugins.PrioritizedPathSelector.Dll + Helpercontrol.v4.dll+ Newtonsoft.json.dll

Logs.zip

Edited by MazJohn [Mr Arcade]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

1.jpg.6a2e17c1e8c645e2af187dcd92a12ec3.jpg2.jpg.70e6b65261e5e5b11fff4da6b6eab304.jpgscreenshots attached showing garbled text or missing text. occurs as you scroll through menu list. This happens on all 3 themes that I currently use which include unified, Unified Redux, and Unified Refried.  Logs enabled and attached after booting into Big Box for a short time.  Issue has nothing to do with "Launchbox" .... it happens in BigBox only. Game video glitching is hard to screen cap because it keeps resizing in and out very quickly.  I wasnt aware themes had their own plugins such as as stated by @Neil9000 so i guess i will check that next.   Thanks.

Logs.zip 4.3 kB · 1 download

I see, thanks for the details. All three of those themes are known working themes, so don't worry about trying to remove the plugins. Unfortunately it looks to be some kind of weird driver or Windows bug (if I had to guess it's video drivers). It's strange to hear that you don't have issues with 11.2, but you do with the betas; my guess is that means that there are some bugs with .NET Core that don't exist with the older .NET version (which is probably going to cause us some trouble when the official release goes out).

So, as far as solving it, I would manually run Windows Update to make sure you're 100% up to date, and then look for the latest video drivers and install those to see if that helps. You are on Windows 10, correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

I see, thanks for the details. All three of those themes are known working themes, so don't worry about trying to remove the plugins. Unfortunately it looks to be some kind of weird driver or Windows bug (if I had to guess it's video drivers). It's strange to hear that you don't have issues with 11.2, but you do with the betas; my guess is that means that there are some bugs with .NET Core that don't exist with the older .NET version (which is probably going to cause us some trouble when the official release goes out).

So, as far as solving it, I would manually run Windows Update to make sure you're 100% up to date, and then look for the latest video drivers and install those to see if that helps. You are on Windows 10, correct?

I updated previous post to include the plugins used inside each theme folder....  Windows 10 is up to date- Running latest Win 10 build 2004 which was the update from 1909. I removed the NVIDIA driver using the DDU tool in safe mode to ensure it was completely removed from the system, then re-installed the latest Nvidia driver.  also made No difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

I updated previous post to include the plugins used inside each theme folder....  Windows 10 is up to date- Running latest Win 10 build 2004 which was the update from 1909. I removed the NVIDIA driver using the DDU tool in safe mode to ensure it was completely removed from the system, then re-installed the latest Nvidia driver.  also made No difference.

The only other thing I can figure would be a corrupted .NET install, which isn't always as easy to remedy, unfortunately. But that is probably worth a shot. I would uninstall any instances of .NET Core or .NET Framework that you can, and then reinstall them. Is there anything non-standard about your Windows installation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@MazJohn [Mr Arcade] Come to think of it though, that corruption is different than anything I've ever seen, so I'm wondering if maybe it could be a hardware issue, unfortunately. Perhaps an issue with your video card? Have you overclocked your video card by chance (maybe that could be causing it)?

Nvidia card in use is Latest generation RTX card running at stock speed (no overclock). The PC is a dedicated Emulation build without any special software running on it. Launch-Box has been continuously updated on it over the last 4 years- Since around Launch-box V5 or 6. Windows and Steam games have no issues.

20 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The only other thing I can figure would be a corrupted .NET install, which isn't always as easy to remedy, unfortunately. But that is probably worth a shot. I would uninstall any instances of .NET Core or .NET Framework that you can, and then reinstall them. Is there anything non-standard about your Windows installation?

The PC has older .net run-times installed dating back to .NET 2008 ... Wondering if i should I delete all previous instances of the .NET runtime? I assumes some older games might need them to run. As for the latest .NET core, I've UN-installed and rebooted, then re-installed a number of times. Guess I can Refresh the Windows install as a worst case scenario and report back if it had something to do with the OS side itself. Thanks anyways for the help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

Nvidia card in use is Latest generation RTX card running at stock speed (no overclock). The PC is a dedicated Emulation build without any special software running on it. Launch-Box has been continuously updated on it over the last 4 years- Since around Launch-box V5 or 6. Windows and Steam games have no issues.

The PC has older .net run-times installed dating back to .NET 2008 ... Wondering if i should I delete all previous instances of the .NET runtime? I assumes some older games might need them to run. As for the latest .NET core, I've UN-installed and rebooted, then re-installed a number of times. Guess I can Refresh the Windows install as a worst case scenario and report back if it had something to do with the OS side itself. Thanks anyways for the help.

I hate to ask you to do that, but I am curious if that would resolve the issue. My apologies that we don't have a more obvious solution. Let us know if that fixes it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beta 16 is out now with the following:

  • Matched the GameDetailsView of the LB new Default theme to the Old Default theme to hopefully fix the VLC resizing issue
  • Changed Chromium cache folder to fix the Visited Links deletion issue on exit, and stop preventing Big Box from exiting in some cases
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

1.jpg.6a2e17c1e8c645e2af187dcd92a12ec3.jpg2.jpg.70e6b65261e5e5b11fff4da6b6eab304.jpgThis happens on all 3 themes that I currently use which include unified, Unified Redux, and Unified Refried.

For me none of those themes display the systemview and optionsview as it should.

Edit: It randomly started working.

image.png.0297614ded29eed4a1fb65d5ce4aa9de.png

Edited by wallmachine
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2020 at 4:01 PM, Jason Carr said:

What were you doing in LaunchBox?

LB Hang - Task Kill:  I had this happen and sounds similar to what @dblalcar experienced. Happened two times during early betas but didn't think much of it at time considering changes to new Core and didn't have logs on at the time. Tonight I had it happen twice where the edit window was open and second when closing the edit window. In both cases, LB hung up with no response (but didn't crash outright).  The Windows busy spinning icon will spin away when this happens. I let the second time spin about 10 minutes before I task killed it. It doesn't actually appear to be doing anything during that time and like noted by dbalcar it isn't taxing resources (CPU, drive all low use).  I have attached both logs where it hung up and had to task kill it (Hang - Task Kill No 1 and 2).

LB Hang - Scroll to "reactivate":  About three other times tonight (beyond above) I had LB hang with the window dimmed as if another window dialog box is open (but not). With this case, the mouse cursor was still active and moving just nothing would "activate" in the LB window.  Clicking in menu gets no response or on any of the areas. However, if move the mouse to the left platform pane and scroll with mouse wheel (our scroll bar) to end of platform listing it will "unlock" and back to normal.  It's like it is waiting for an action or window to close, but there are no windows open. The difference with this issue versus first one is the Windows busy icon is not running and you can actually see the mouse inside the LB window. I am always able to unstick it but forcing a scroll of the platform with mouse wheel or dragging the scroll bar (but no other actions work). This one always happens immediately after closing the edit window, but not consistently. I can go back to same game and do edits and is fine or will work fine for awhile and then pop up again. I attached a log for this one as well but not sure will give much since appears LB just goes back to normal after forcing a window scroll.  Happened on multiple platforms, so don't think a corrupted XML.

Not sure if both issues are related and suspect hard to track down.  It doesn't happen with a pattern other than the edit window tends to be the trigger.  Haven't changed anything Windows wise and Nvidia drivers/mouse drivers all up to date (and same used in prior LB versions). No other main programs were running when happened. Mouse is USB direct connected and not wireless. 

On unrelated note, Norton Antivirus really dislikes (erroneously) the Bigbox.DLL in the ..Launchbox\Core  directory with this round of betas. Never had it whine before on LB.  But it merrily will quarantine that DLL each time a beta comes out due to its mystery "heuristic" checks. Excluding it works fine thereafter (until a new version).  Anyway, just noting since soon to go final and others may run into over zealous Norton zapping the needed DLL.

Hang - Task Kill No 1 - Debug 2020-08-20 12-28-46 PM-Crash at 706pm.log Hang - Task Kill No 2 - Debug 2020-08-20 07-14-01 PM-Crash 832.log Issue No 2 - Hang - Scroll Fixes it- Debug 2020-08-20 08-34-15 PM - pausehang at 843.log

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@sundogak is your experience similar to the video? I can recreate this every time. Open a new instance of LaunchBox and If the selected Platform isn't in the view of the scroll bar as in the video but the Platform is displaying and you access any dialog such as Options, Edit etc it will freeze until you scroll down the Platform list and reach that selected Platform. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

This is weird, because when I look at the changes we made for beta 13, it doesn't make sense that any issues like this would be introduced. Can you test once more to make 100% sure that beta 12 does not have the issue, and beta 13 specifically does?

I have not the exe file for the beta 13 any more. I have deleted it. Where can I download it again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...