LaunchBox Community Forums

Posted (edited)

Hi fellow LaunchBox and BigBox'ers,

Here is my first release of my Slingshot Launcher for the Altirra emulator!!

Supports the following:

• Atari 8-Bit Computer Systems (400/800/XL/XE).
  • Atari 5200.
  • Atari XEGS.
  • Supports Altirra profiles as well as many more features like Various RAM Sizes, Cheats, Covox, RAMDisks and much more.
  • Info Cards (Instruction Cards) up to 4 you can create. Supports PNG images.
  • Info Cards support sound effects in MP3 or WAV format.
  • Cinematic startup/shutdown videos.
  • Per game configs.
  • Can launch/run Basic, Binary, Carts, Disks and Tape formats.
  • Comes with configs for all supported systems to get you started of which most of the Atari 5200 and XEGS have are close if not complete.
  • Works with LaunchBox/BigBox Pause feature as well!

Here is a screen shot of how to set it up in LaunchBox. Including images of how I setup my LaunchBox Pause for using the pause and load/save states as well. You would need to configure those how you have your Altirra setup but will give you a guideline to get you started.

The folder structure for your Info Cards works like the following example:

• L:\LaunchBox\Images\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Info Card 1\Astro Chase (USA).png
  • L:\LaunchBox\Images\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Info Card 2\Astro Chase (USA).png
  • L:\LaunchBox\Images\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Info Card 3\Astro Chase (USA).png
  • L:\LaunchBox\Images\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Info Card 4\Astro Chase (USA).png

The folder structure for your Info Cards sound effects works like the following example:

FADE IN SOUNDS:

• L:\LaunchBox\Sounds\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Fade In\Info Card 1\Astro Chase (USA).wav
  • L:\LaunchBox\Sounds\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Fade In\Info Card 2\Astro Chase (USA).wav
  • L:\LaunchBox\Sounds\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Fade In\Info Card 3\Astro Chase (USA).mp3
  • L:\LaunchBox\Sounds\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Fade In\Info Card 4\Astro Chase (USA).mp3

FADE OUT SOUNDS:

• L:\LaunchBox\Sounds\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Fade Out\Info Card 1\Astro Chase (USA).wav
  • L:\LaunchBox\Sounds\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Fade Out\Info Card 2\Astro Chase (USA).wav
  • L:\LaunchBox\Sounds\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Fade Out\Info Card 3\Astro Chase (USA).mp3
  • L:\LaunchBox\Sounds\Info Cards\Atari 5200\Astro Chase (USA)\Fade Out\Info Card 4\Astro Chase (USA).mp3

The folder structure for your Cinematic Videos works like the following example:

STARTUP VIDEOS:

• L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 5200\Startup\Astro Chase (USA).mp4

SHUTDOWN VIDEOS:

L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 5200\Shutdown\Astro Chase (USA).mp4

Enjoy!

Setup.png

Pause Screen.png

Load State.png

Save State.png

Notes:

* In the Slingshot folder there is a config folder where you can save and edit all your config files.

** You will need to edit the config files to match your file structure and rom names.

*** If Info Cards are  enabled then will use DirectX9 else will it use DirectX11 when launching Altirra.

Slingshot v1.05.zip

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Unusual Gem 1

Posted (edited)

If using Cinematic Videos make sure you setup VLC (VideoLAN) to run in fullscreen and I disables the ESC key in VLC as well so it will play your videos in fullscreen and not windowed.

If using Cinematic Videos turn off the LB Game Startup Screen from the options menu.

Also make sure to edit the configs to match your setup!!

Edited by Krakerman

Posted (edited)

Slingshot v1.01 Released:

• Added a error check routine to check for correct media type in the config.
  • Minor code fixes.

Edited by Krakerman

Posted (edited)

Slingshot v1.02 Released:

• Fix to correct several wordings in a couple of the error check routines.

Edited by Krakerman

Slingshot v1.03 Released:

Sorry guys had fix one of the configs as I was using it to test the error checking sub-routine and forgot to re-vert it back. 

Posted (edited)

Just to let you guys know if you want to create a default cinematic startup/shutdown video for all the games under a platform just name it _Default.mp4 it will search for rom name cinematic video first if not found then will look for the _Default video. Example:

STARTUP VIDEOS:

• L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 5200\Startup\_Default.mp4

SHUTDOWN VIDEOS:

L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 5200\Shutdown\_Default.mp4

Note:

* If no video is found at all it will just launch the game but recommend you turn off that feature for the game if not using cinematic video.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

I am working on 2 more Slingshot Launchers for the Mattel Intellivision. I have both MAME and Bliss up an running with Cinematic Videos. 

@Krakerman this sounds pretty cool, especially since Altirra is certainly the best emulator for the Atari 8 bit systems. I'll definitely give it a try soon here. But I was just wondering, (and this might be a stupid question), what exactly does this do? Is it a replacement/enhancement for the startup and pause features in LaunchBox? Or, is it providing a working solution for an existing feature? You might want to add a "What it does..." in the information. 

Edited by bundangdon

You can still use LaunchBox's Pause feature this is just a launcher for Altirra giving you more control and out of the box can launch all your Atari XEGS games as I included pre-configured config (ini) files that have all the cart mappers for the games just got to make sure the rom names in the config files match what you have. I also included config files for others systems like Atari 5200 and Atari 8-Bit and various formats like Disks, Tapes, Carts and Binary. I also added info cards which while playing and you press your assigned function key or whatever hotkey you setup in the config file for the game will display on top of the game just like instruction cards did for Rocketlauncher plus you can add sound effects. There are other options you can set as well in the config to control Altirra per game to control Altirra on launch.

Also included Startup/Shutdown cinematic videos so if you want to create mp4's videos instead of using LaunchBox's default startup and shutdown screens you can do that as well. Here is a link to my cinematic videos that shows you ones I have created using Microsoft's PowerPoint believe it or not!

https://www.youtube.com/user/KrakermanSD/videos?view_as=subscriber

If you don't want to use cinematic videos then you can turn them off and use your LaunchBox startup/shutdown themes. I know there are not many cinematic startup/shutdown screen available probably because nobody gave the community a way to do it in a frontend until now! I have also explained in other forums on how to implement cinematic videos within LaunchBox but I feel my Launcher's will be the best way to do it making it much easier until Jason adds the feature to LaunchBox.

Hope that explains it. It just makes it easier to use Altirra I think with LaunchBox/BigBox and give you more bling/options. I was a long time RocketLauncher user and module/content creator and took inspiration from that and made my own all in-one self contained code to launch my games as I am a big fan of cinematic fades but RocketLauncher does not support that thou I found ways to do it but wanted more control of how I wanted to do it plus I wanted to see if I could convert all my RocketLauncher modules over to run without using it and here is the first system I did since it was the first computer I got and yes Altirra is hands down the best emulator for the Atari 8-Bit platform. I plan on making a lot more Launchers for other platforms as well with similar features.

So I hope everyone likes it and helps them get there games up and running it's quite easy to use and I'm sure any questions or troubles anyone has they can post them here and will try to help them. 

It will help if you know how to use and setup Altirra outside of LB/BB and VideoLAN/VLC to play your videos in fullscreen there are options in VLC to do that which I recommend before using the launcher.

If you know how to use Altirra then this will be a breeze.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 2

I have an upcoming update that will address an issue with cinematic videos for the Atari 8-Bit that will allow you to have separate folders for the different media types like Disk, Cart, Tape, Binary, Profile and Basic for your cinematic videos for those media types before it would all be under Atari 8-Bit which would cause issues with multiple games with same name within the different media types.

So the folder layout for the Atari 8-Bit cinematic videos should be saved in (example):

STARTUP VIDEOS:

• L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Disk\Startup\
  • L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Tape\Startup\
  • L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Cart\Startup\
  • L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Binary\Startup\
  • L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Profile\Startup\
  • L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Basic\Startup\

SHUTDOWN VIDEOS:

• L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Disk\Shutdown\
  • L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Tape\Shutdown\
  • L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Cart\Shutdown\
  • L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Binary\Shutdown\
  • L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Profile\Shutdown\
  • L:\LaunchBox\Videos\Cinematic Videos\Atari 8-Bit\Basic\Shutdown\

Of course you can still have a _Default.mp4 in any of those folders it you want a default cinematic video for all the games.

Edited by Krakerman

Slingshot v1.04 Released!

• Fix for Atari 8-Bit cinematic folder layout to include: Disk, Tape, Cart, Binary, Profile and Basic sub folders.
  • Like 1

News update!

Been working on my MAME Slingshot Launcher for the Mattel Intellivision and have everything up and running. I have the following implemented so far:

• Cinematic startup and shutdown videos (Per game or can use a Default video for the platform).
  • Ability to create a custom MAME window size for playing in Window Mode and will be centered on your display.
  • Ability to show/hide MAME console window.
  • MAME effects added (Ex. Can uses the Scanlines, Aperture or any of the effects png files that are located in your MAME/Artwork folder).
  • Added and option to use either VLC or MPV players for playing cinematic videos (Currently only MPV will be the only one to work in both fullscreen or window mode).
  • Support for per game settings or an option to use a default config for your Mattel Intellivision games.
  • Bezels support.
  • Marquee support.
  • Supports LaunchBox Pause feature.
  • Many more MAME options as well giving you better and more control over how each game is run from within LaunchBox/BigBox.

I found MPV to be better than VLC but you have the option to use either. Here is the link to the MPV player (free, open source and cross-platform player):

https://mpv.io/

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 2

I am also working on adding in Intellivision controller overlays that you can import into the Elgato Stream Deck.

image0.jpg?width=1595&height=1196

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 2

Hi! I don't have this sistems Yet in my collection, when I have time I Will try to add them I'm definitely going to use this launcher. Just wanted to thank you for sharing your work with us.

On 9/8/2020 at 3:27 PM, Krakerman said:

I am also working on adding in Intellivision controller overlays that you can import into the Elgato Stream Deck.

image0.jpg?width=1595&height=1196

Nice, really Nice

Bezel support no longer requires MAME bezels these are different Bezels that work similar to how RL bezels work. 

• Like 1

Finished implementing the marquee and the bezel code and everything is working excellent and very smooth transitions no pop ins and even with cinematic fades works perfect. 

Edited by Krakerman

Here is a demonstration of my bezels working with LaunchBox. 

I muted the audio reason why there is no sound and just put together a real fast bezel nothing fancy and quite ugly but it was just to show you guys of how well bezels are working in LaunchBox with my Slingshot Launcher!👍😁

Note: This is not a bezel  that is in the MAME bezel folder this is created using the Slingshot Launcher.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1