LaunchBox Community Forums

Thanks for the feedback and sorry you had troubles getting it to work.😬

The lack of good instructions (which I am not good at or like doing) and this mess of a forum post doesn't help matters. What I might do is delete the entire post and start over with better instructions in the form of a word document included with the Launchers than a long forum post on how to set it up and configure. Doing YouTube tutorials is not my thing and prefer not too thou that method would be better I'm sure but will have to think about it and what I might do.

Actually when I first started working on my Altirra Launcher I wanted to create a GUI to configure every aspect of it similar to how RocketLauncher does with it's modules which was my inspiration to begin with. I actually did manage to create a GUI with AHK that did exactly just that and worked very good however I had so many changes to my Launcher that required me to redo the GUI which at that point thought would not be ready for public release and just using it for my own personal use. Maybe at some point will get back to working on a GUI for each of these Launchers but doing so takes a lot more work than I am willing to do for the community sorry this isn't a job for me where I am getting paid for my troubles so that may never happen.😂

I haven't heard from anyone else if they are having troubles (wasn't sure anyone even using them) with these or not granted Daphne is a much harder beast to setup (for some) but I always recommend getting it to work outside LaunchBox and my Launcher first so you know it works first then tackle setting it up in LaunchBox. 

Once you know how any emulator works and launching them via command line then using these Launchers comes a bit easier since really all it is .... is a FE that sends a run command with command line options that the emulator needs to run. Using AHK is a perfect tool for doing just that and more as you have seen from my YouTube videos showing what these Launchers can do.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 2

I purchased a long time ago C64 Forever 8 Plus Edition (https://www.c64forever.com/) and had created a module for RocketLauncher for such and wanted to convert that module over to my Launcher format too see if I can get that up and working in LaunchBox to play my C64, C128 and VIC-20 games. I can say I have fullscreen, bezels, marquees, cinematic fades and instruction cards all working with it now.👍

Also tested the ability to use freezer carts like Super Snapshot v5 and Action Replay carts with C64 disk and tape games and that is working as well! So I can add an option on per game configuration the ability to use freezer carts.

Of course this means Amiga Forever will follow (https://www.amigaforever.com/) works very much the same as C64 Forever but for the Commodore Amiga platform.

Edited by Krakerman

New feature I am adding in to my C64 Forever Launcher is a bezel offset so you can basically stretch the game to fill the bezel and remove that c64 outer border.

Just tested it and it is working perfect!

Edited by Krakerman

9 hours ago, Krakerman said:

Thanks for the feedback and sorry you had troubles getting it to work.😬

The lack of good instructions (which I am not good at or like doing) and this mess of a forum post doesn't help matters. What I might do is delete the entire post and start over with better instructions in the form of a word document included with the Launchers than a long forum post on how to set it up and configure. Doing YouTube tutorials is not my thing and prefer not too thou that method would be better I'm sure but will have to think about it and what I might do.

Actually when I first started working on my Altirra Launcher I wanted to create a GUI to configure every aspect of it similar to how RocketLauncher does with it's modules which was my inspiration to begin with. I actually did manage to create a GUI with AHK that did exactly just that and worked very good however I had so many changes to my Launcher that required me to redo the GUI which at that point thought would not be ready for public release and just using it for my own personal use. Maybe at some point will get back to working on a GUI for each of these Launchers but doing so takes a lot more work than I am willing to do for the community sorry this isn't a job for me where I am getting paid for my troubles so that may never happen.😂

I haven't heard from anyone else if they are having troubles (wasn't sure anyone even using them) with these or not granted Daphne is a much harder beast to setup (for some) but I always recommend getting it to work outside LaunchBox and my Launcher first so you know it works first then tackle setting it up in LaunchBox. 

Once you know how any emulator works and launching them via command line then using these Launchers comes a bit easier since really all it is .... is a FE that sends a run command with command line options that the emulator needs to run. Using AHK is a perfect tool for doing just that and more as you have seen from my YouTube videos showing what these Launchers can do.

Okay, thanks a lot for the response. I know that youtube-style tutorials aren't for everyone, so that was certainly just a suggestion. In my opinion, this plugin could be a real game-changer and could even become a standard feature, as so many people (including myself) look for a way to completely remove rocketlauncher once and for all and provide a way to use bezels for emulators that don't have that feature already built in. Therefore, a step by step tutorial, even in writing, would be extremely useful. Thanks again!

Edited by bundangdon

1 hour ago, bundangdon said:

Okay, thanks a lot for the response. I know that youtube-style tutorials aren't for everyone, so that was certainly just a suggestion. In my opinion, this plugin could be a real game-changer and could even become a standard feature, as so many people (including myself) look for a way to completely remove rocketlauncher once and for all and provide a way to use bezels for emulators that don't have that feature already built in. Therefore, a step by step tutorial, even in writing, would be extremely useful. Thanks again!

Hey no problem. Thanks for the kind words always nice to hear.😁

Just a FYI this is not a plug-in it is just a extensive AHK script that you setup as an emulator to launch specific emulators to give them added features such as bezels, marquees, instruction cards and the ability to use cinematic video startup and shutdown screens on launch very similar to what RocketLauncher does however mine was made to work specifically with LaunchBox/Bigbox and it's features. So yes I made this as a replacement for RocketLauncher for LaunchBox/BigBox for myself but  from what I have read in the past about what others here have said about RocketLauncher and there dislikes and wishing we had similar features for LaunchBox without needing RocketLauncher it only made sense to share it with the rest of the community.

I just wanted to clear that up for anyone else that is reading this that it's not a plug-in those are different but I get what your saying thou.😉 

I will come up with some better instructions just not sure when I will have that ready. In the meantime just post your issues here and I will try to answer and help the best I can. 

Edited by Krakerman

C64 Forever Slingshot News:

Ok guys here is a couple video demo's  showing you a new feature that I implemented to have a bezel offset setting so you can stretch the game to the bezel viewport window. 

• Like 2

• Added support for Commodore 128, VIC-20 and PLUS4!!
  • Added support for the Commodore MAX Machine.
Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 2

Here is a demo of bezel feature for the Commodore MAX working with the Launcher!

• Like 2

This just shows you guys that using my Launchers that bezels work perfect without any issues within LaunchBox and BigBox. Plus you get marquee, cinematic startup/shutdown screens and instruction cards as an added bonus if you want (I haven't even shown you guys any demo of those features yet 😁).

All these Launchers are also all compatible with the LaunchBox pause feature as well!! Really no need for using RocketLauncher with LaunchBox anymore if you ask me. Eventually I will get to creating more Slingshot Launchers for more emulators but right now the C64 Forever is the one I am currently working on and it's a gonna be packed with features and options that you can change for the various platforms it supports.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

3 hours ago, Krakerman said:

This just shows you guys that using my Launchers that bezels work perfect without any issues within LaunchBox and BigBox. Plus you get marquee, cinematic startup/shutdown screens and instruction cards as an added bonus if you want (I haven't even shown you guys any demo of those features yet 😁).

All these Launchers are also all compatible with the LaunchBox pause feature as well!! Really no need for using RocketLauncher with LaunchBox anymore if you ask me. Eventually I will get to creating more Slingshot Launchers for more emulators but right now the C64 Forever is the one I am currently working on and it's a gonna be packed with features and options that you can change for the various platforms it supports.

retroarch would be epic

• Like 1

I am planning on doing RetroArch for sure!👍 There are many that I plan on doing but am working on the ones that I want or need for myself first.😉 

So far I have done:

• Altirra (This one is going to get upgraded to my new code adding bezels and marquees)
  • MAME 
  • Daphne
  • Daphne Singe
  • C64 Forever (Currently working on!)
Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

23 hours ago, Krakerman said:

I am planning on doing RetroArch for sure!👍 There are many that I plan on doing but am working on the ones that I want or need for myself first.😉 

So far I have done:

• Altirra (This one is going to get upgraded to my new code adding bezels and marquees)
  • MAME 
  • Daphne
  • Daphne Singe
  • C64 Forever (Currently working on!)

That sounds fair..

all will be useful no doubt about it. appreciate the work  

Edited by ALIE
  • Like 1

Testing and adding JoyToKey feature to the Launcher code so you can use JoyToKey profiles per game!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krakerman said:

Testing and adding JoyToKey feature to the Launcher code so you can use JoyToKey profiles per game!!

So at this rate, when will it be renamed Rocketlaucher 2? lol 😉

• Haha 2

• JoyToKey support added!

Note: Each platform can have a default and/or per game JoyToKey profile as well as an overall for all platforms if you want.

Edited by Krakerman

Working on adding Save/Load state support for C64 Forever working within LB/BB Pause.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

I found a few issues with implementing save states in the C64 Forever Launcher so for now I am leaving that feature out until I can find a solution also tonight I am working on the WinVICE Launcher which I think will be a better alternative to the C64 Forever Launcher.

The C64 Forever Launcher is working just fine but just doesn't have the save state support which I plan to have in the WinVICE Launcher. A nice feature that my Launcher will have unlike with the WinVICE RocketLauncher module is that it will allow for launching all your C64 roms in zipped format if you want.

At least that is the plan.😁 I been testing out the newest WinVICE builds and really like what I see so far.

Update!

I just tested out my WinVICE Launcher by launching C64 games in zipped format and is working and with bezels as well!👍

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

Testing out the Daphne Slingshot and small issue for me.

You use the code

If InStr(emuName, platformName)

in the AHK. Problem is my platform name is LaserDisc, not Daphne, so it fails and I get the error message.

It was simple enough to change the AHK and hard code it to LaserDisc and recompile. 

Is this check required? Do all the Slingshot launchers have similar checks? Could be an issue if you include many so called platforms under Arcade platform. 

Slingshot uses the default LaunchBox platform name which is Daphne. This is why your having issues 😆

If you want it to be LaserDisc (As I take it you created a platform and called it LaserDisc) then also make sure to change your folders to reflect that name too within the slingshot folder and all the media like bezels, instruction cards ect ect.

Also would need to change everything within the code that is referenced to Daphne to LaserDisc as well. Thou you may need to change Daphne.exe to LaserDisc.exe and see if that works. I don't have mine setup as LaserDisc and use Daphne that's why this Launcher is coded for that.

What kind of error do you get when you launch your game?

Edited by Krakerman

As a preface, I haven't looked at the source code. But if your answer to a problem is "change all variables in the source" then it's very bad design.

If you hard-coded system names because different systems need different params you should have a simple way to override that.

Create a systemMap.ini where users can map their platform names to the standard names you're using in code for checks.