LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Graphical Glitching v11.3-11.6 *Solved - Page 3*

neosean99

35 minutes ago, MuddyWaters79 said:

I’m running NTFS on the external HD.

Okay, then the external should not be the issue.

33 minutes ago, MuddyWaters79 said:

I just did a clean install on my GPU driver and no change... I will try to kill background processes. I recently just checked core and .net... maybe I can uninstall and reinstall? Also do you think reinstalling LaunchBox/ Bigbox would help?

Yes, it would be worth trying to uninstall and reinstall both the .NET Framework and .NET Core. It also can't hurt to reinstall LaunchBox; just install it over top of the same folder and you won't lose any data.

• Like 1

@Vhero, Are you running a Dell also? Just trying to think if Jason and Muddy have a same spec machine what it could be. The main reason I ask is I have seen the Alienware software cause issues in the past, and we know that Dell loads tons of it's apps on their computers. I'll check tomorrow if taking some of these out does the trick. 

• Like 1

@Jason Carr

Update:

I have fixed the problem! 

After some extended troubleshooting I decided to start fresh from the drawing board. Last night I completed all of the recommended steps including ensuring that .net framework 4.8, .net core runtime 3.1, ensured GPU driver was updated, Windows 10 was updated to latest version 2004, as well as reinstalling LaunchBox/BigBox several times. None of these steps seemed to fix the issues of graphical glitches on either LaunchBox or BigBox. 

These steps are somewhat lengthy but they completely resolved the graphical glitching problems in both LaunchBox and BigBox. (see attached videos)

Here is what I did today which fixed the problem:

1. I reset Windows 10: All Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC. I kept all of my apps and reinstalled Windows 10.

2. After I reinstalled necessary apps such as antivirus, office, GeForce Experience, etc. I began the important stuff:

* Update Windows via Windows Update

* Update Graphics Card drivers via GeForce Experience

3. I then installed Visual Studio Community 2019 with the following components: >>ASP.NET and web development; >>>NET desktop development; >> Desktop development with C++; >>Data storage and processing. Here is the link: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

4. I verified and installed .NET framework 4.8 (https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework)

5.I then turned on IIS in Windows 10 Windows Features:

How to Install IIS on Windows 10.

• Right-click on the Windows button on the bottom-left corner and select Run.
  • In the Run dialog box, type appwiz.cpl and press ENTER .
  • As soon as a new window called Programs and Features is opened, click on the link Turn Windows features on or off .
  • Click on the Internet Information Services checkbox. By default it will install all you need to host a website. However you might want to check some other components that you might need as well. Once done, click OK and Close when it says “Windows completed the requested changes.”
  • Now open your browser and type in localhost and press ENTER . You should see a default web page is rendered in your browser.
  • Here is the link for these instructions: https://www.itnota.com/install-iis-windows/#:~:text=How%20to%20Install%20IIS%20on%20Windows%2010.%201,web%20page%20is%20rendered%20in%20your%20browser.%20

6. Afterwards, this step is important, only after IIS has been enabled in Windows Features I was able to download and install the ASP.NET Core 3.1 Runtime (v3.1.8) - Windows Hosting Bundle. Here is the link: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-core/3.1  It is on the right side of the page... make sure to select Windows> "Hosting Bundle"

7. After the .NET Core Hosting Bundle is installed it is important to stop and restart the IIS Feature in Windows. Do this easily by bringing up a "Run" command using the Windows key + R. Then type or copy and paste this into the command box:  iisreset /start    Now press OK. Here is a link for those instructions: https://tecadmin.net/restart-iis-via-command-line/#:~:text=How%20to%20Restart%20IIS%20via%20Command%20Line.%201,3%203.%20ReStart%20IIS%20via%20Command%20Line%3A%20

8. Finally, its time to make sure the LaunchBox dependencies are in order... Install Direct X and check the .NET framework:

* Direct X web installer: (dxwebsetup.exe) see attached file

* .NET Framework web installer: (NDP461-KB3102438-Web.exe) see attached file (*note: if you followed the above instructions this should be already installed. Just use to verify then cancel out.)

9. Double check all the above steps and ensure all updates have been completed.

10. Restart your computer

11. Launch LaunchBox or BigBox and you should be good to go! I am running v11.5. I did not have to reinstall LB\BB as I already did that last night. Also note that I did not install any extra third party apps or bloatware to my computer when I reset Windows. Here are my computer specs:

Dell / Alienware Aurora R8

Processor: Intel i9 9900K

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti  w/11GB GDDR6 VRAM

RAM: 32 GB GDDR4

Windows Pro version 2004

** I hope this will help everyone resolve these problems with the graphical glitches**

Thanks,

MuddyWaters79

dxwebsetup.exe NDP461-KB3102438-Web.exe

Just now, MuddyWaters79 said:

The .NET Core hosting bundle contains everything necessary but won’t install correctly if IIS is not enabled first...

The .NET Core installations are stupid confusing. What users need instead is the "Windows Desktop Runtime" version. The hosting version is for web hosting.

• Like 1

I am also having this same graphical issue ever since the update to 11.4 on big box, none of the following releases have changed anything nor has recent NVIDIA drivers released, nor doing fresh installs of latest .NET core and framework. I was just curious if I can downgrade by running the setup exe or must I uninstall the old version of launchbox, I'm hoping to avoid that as I'd hate to lose the current organization and settings of my games.

I am having a similar graphical issues I have seen others posting about on the forums ever since the update to 11.4, I have a GeForce GTX 1060 6gb card, latest game ready driver installed, I have tried reinstalling net core and ensuring windows is up to date but nothing seems to be correcting this issue. When first updated to 11.6 big box ran once with no graphical issues and the videos were proper sizes, however after doing a media scrape and starting big box again all the graphical glitches have returned. I'd like to revert back to 11.2 but every time I do so when I switch from launchbox to big box it automatically updates to 11.6 despite all update option being unchecked.

16 minutes ago, Kimjongilist said:

I am having a similar graphical issues I have seen others posting about on the forums ever since the update to 11.4, I have a GeForce GTX 1060 6gb card, latest game ready driver installed, I have tried reinstalling net core and ensuring windows is up to date but nothing seems to be correcting this issue. When first updated to 11.6 big box ran once with no graphical issues and the videos were proper sizes, however after doing a media scrape and starting big box again all the graphical glitches have returned. I'd like to revert back to 11.2 but every time I do so when I switch from launchbox to big box it automatically updates to 11.6 despite all update option being unchecked.

I merged your post with this one. It is the same issue so a new thread was not needed. Keeping the same issues in one thread is easier for the devs to keep up with the posts and users can have all the data in one spot.

1 hour ago, Kimjongilist said:

If you just want to stay on 11.2 for now, you can uncheck all the update boxes under Tools > Options > General > Updates in LaunchBox. Then you should be able to downgrade without any risk of the updates coming back.

It is clear, based on @MuddyWaters79 findings, that the issue can be resolved, but we're not yet sure how (he had to basically format Windows and start over). I would recommend trying this, to see if it helps:

21 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

For those of you who are still having the graphical glitches, can you try upgrading to .NET Core 3.1.8? Here's a direct link:

https://download.visualstudio.microsoft.com/download/pr/add2ffbe-a288-4d47-8b09-a39c8645f505/8516700dd5bd85fe07e8010e55d8f653/windowsdesktop-runtime-3.1.8-win-x64.exe

Well I am on that core now but when I tried that particular download link and installed the app it caused some major conflicts such as not recognizing keys on my keyboard etc. But going to the dotnet site myself and downloading 3.1.8 from the link there worked just fine. The problem is that I don't have any of those update options checked yet when I install 11.2 over my launchbox built it opens fine in 11.2 until I go to switch to big box and then it thinks I confirmed installing the download. Just a note even if I had the update boxes check it usually asks me if I want to update launchbox and if I pick no it doesn't. However trying to downgrade to 11.2 launches launchbox in 11.2 fine soon as I switch to big box it think I told it to update.

I have no doubts the issue can be found and it was extra frustrated because a recent game ready driver update causes big box on 11.6 to appear correctly with no graphical glitches. But after updating some media they are back to how it was before game ready driver update was installed again. 

3 minutes ago, Kimjongilist said:

Well I am on that core now but when I tried that particular download link and installed the app it caused some major conflicts such as not recognizing keys on my keyboard etc. But going to the dotnet site myself and downloading 3.1.8 from the link there worked just fine. The problem is that I don't have any of those update options checked yet when I install 11.2 over my launchbox built it opens fine in 11.2 until I go to switch to big box and then it thinks I confirmed installing the download. Just a note even if I had the update boxes check it usually asks me if I want to update launchbox and if I pick no it doesn't. However trying to downgrade to 11.2 launches launchbox in 11.2 fine soon as I switch to big box it think I told it to update.

I have no doubts the issue can be found and it was extra frustrated because a recent game ready driver update causes big box on 11.6 to appear correctly with no graphical glitches. But after updating some media they are back to how it was before game ready driver update was installed again. 

Worst case scenario, you can delete the LaunchBox\Updates folder. Based on previous experiences in this thread, we don't think it really has to do with video drivers, though we're not certain.

6 minutes ago, RedHoodRobin64 said:

I just tried the core update link that jason had. Still the same isues. Im going to just stick with 11.2

Yeah, it's clearly a Windows bug of some kind. @MuddyWaters79 was able to fix it by reinstalling Windows and such, but obviously that's too much of a pain to recommend to everyone. I don't know what else to do at this point. I'll update this thread if we figure anything else out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1