Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
W3880

BigBox Error Messages When Applying New Theme

Recommended Posts

Unable to change theme on BigBox,  I can install any theme, however get the below message when attemping to apply and theme returns to default and I recieve 3 error messages stating "an error ocurred while parsing the custom" 1st for system platform, 2nd for thumbnails, and 3rd for platform wheel, then just defaults back to default theme, am also getting these 3 error messages when launching big box. This seemed to happen after applying BannerBox theme, and BannerBox is the only theme I can now apply and error messages stop.

 

 

BBError1.png

BBError2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What version LB/BB are you using? Themes were having issues in one of the latest releases, but I thought it was fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ver 11.4, can i download a previous version, and could I do this without losing settings, data, videos and artwork?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok seem to have found a fix, my themes are  being downloaded to LaunchBox\Themes, but for some reason unified and unified redux are looking in LaunchBox\core\themes and the folder is empty? Most other themes seem to be working ok with themes files left where launch box has put them, in LaunchBox\themes. The LaunchBox\cores\themes folder was empty? I've moved unified folder there and now works? Should I have the 2 different theme folders in 2 different locations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok still not working as it should be, appears that the cores\theme folder is only present when bigbox is running and program should move theme folder there when applied, seems for some reason bigbox is not moving unified and unified redux to core\themes when applied as main theme - if anyone has a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, W3880 said:

Ok still not working as it should be, appears that the cores\theme folder is only present when bigbox is running and program should move theme folder there when applied, seems for some reason bigbox is not moving unified and unified redux to core\themes when applied as main theme - if anyone has a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated.

That theme folder in the core is just a symlink/junction link to your actual theme folder. I am not sure specifically if LB builds the symlink in all cases or in some. The links were added when 11.4 came out and there were some other theme related issues. When you click that theme folder in your Core folder it should contain everything you would see if you went straight to the \Launchbox\Theme folder. Did you download the theme from within the BigBox theme installer options?

11.5 just came out. Download it and see if it still is happening.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.32.02 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Retro808, core\theme only seems to populate with current theme 's folder, when I change theme they go again, I install themes straight from big box menu, (is there an alternative source to this?) not sure if there is an issue with it, some themes seem to be fine, however none of the theme platform video's are downloading either? Just checked colourful theme, no videos in it's platform folder or any of the other theme's video\platform folders, is this right, do you have to download platform video's separtely? I've downloaded 11.5 - no change unfortunately. I was using bigbox ack in Feb with no issues, just spent a few setting emulators up again, this is teh final headache that I wasn't expecting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edited:

I checked with Jason and he advised the symlink is no made in all cases. So that is why you do not see it how I do. Is your build on an external drive or share network drive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Retro808, firtsly thank you for all your help, greatly appreciated, people like yourself really make the retro community what it is! Yes on extrenal drive, I've done this so portable, and plan to copy to another external hdd so have back up. Following your previous posts i discovered that platform videos need to be downloaded independently which I have now done. Unfortunatley still cant use certain themes such as unifiedand unified redux, can't figure out why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, W3880 said:

@Retro808, firtsly thank you for all your help, greatly appreciated, people like yourself really make the retro community what it is! Yes on extrenal drive, I've done this so portable, and plan to copy to another external hdd so have back up. Following your previous posts i discovered that platform videos need to be downloaded independently which I have now done. Unfortunatley still cant use certain themes such as unifiedand unified redux, can't figure out why?

I'm not following why Unified or Unified Redux wouldn't be working properly for you, but one thing that is important to note is that the file system on the external drive matters. It's best if you use NTFS instead of exFAT or FAT32. Does that help anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Jason Carr, I'll check later, buts its 1tb external hdd, im sure they come as NTFS.  Did you see error messages above, with unified and unified redux it cant find theme files in cores\themes, seems to be OK with other themes? I did put unified theme folder in cores\themes and it worked, core\theme only available when launch box is open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, W3880 said:

Hi @Jason Carr, I'll check later, buts its 1tb external hdd, im sure they come as NTFS.  Did you see error messages above, with unified and unified redux it cant find theme files in cores\themes, seems to be OK with other themes? I did put unified theme folder in cores\themes and it worked, core\theme only available when launch box is open.

I did see the error messages, yes. They're just missing files messages, basically. The 11.5/11.6 releases should take care of that stuff without issues, which is why I'm puzzled. Let me know for certain if you're running NTFS. You may just need to delete your LaunchBox\Core folder and do a reinstall over top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool  will do, downloaded beta 11.5 a couple of days ago, no change, will check storage format and let you know. Is it straight forward replacing core file without disrupting everything else, always fills me with dread as takes several days to compile art work, video ect. What is the core file name and file type?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies, know where core folder is, then just replace folder, or reinstall launch box again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, should be straighforward. Just delete the LaunchBox\Core folder, and then reinstall LaunchBox 11.6 over top. I would first auto-update to 11.6 though to see if that fixes the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...