LaunchBox Community Forums

Migrating launchbox to new PC

DBPC

So my pc motherboard finally crapped out on me. Decided to build a whole new pc. When it is complete and I reinstall launchbox what is the best way to go about migrating everything over?

I am hoping I can just setup all my emulators, import all my games and then just dump all the media (art, vids, audio, manuals) in the appropriate folders and it will all work.

Is this wishful thinking? If so what’s the best way to go about it?

You will need to do a fresh install for your emulators that are not portable.  But if you use the same drive letter and folder structure as you had before (for LB and for your emulators [and roms for that matter]), you won't need to 'reinstall' LaunchBox.  Just [re]use the one you have.

But otherwise, Yes.  Just copy the Images, Manuals, Music and Videos folder to your new installation.

• Like 1

I was under the impression a clean install of LB would be needed as well as the emulators. Good to know, Thanks.

I have no clue what drive letters i was using. Is there a file in LB that would show that?

Either way I'm glad that I wont have to download all that media again.

Thank you for the reply.

• Like 1

As I think about it more, the drive letter may not be a factor as long as everything (LB, emus and roms) was/is on the same (single) drive letter.  (vs say LB was on C:\, and emus and roms were on S:\).  But the folder-trees would need to be (have been) the same.  This is regarding having to reinstall LB.  LB uses relative paths for the emulator and rom locations unless they're on a different drive letter.  At that point it'll use the absolute path.

BUT..... instead of worrying about all that, I suppose ya, just install LaunchBox fresh. lol  [Re]install/setup all the emus and import the roms into LB.  And when importing the roms, do import the metadata, but not any media.  Then, (hoping all your roms' filename's didn't change,) copy and paste the Images/Manuals etc. folders.  Also be sure to keep the Platforms named exactly the same.