LaunchBox Community Forums

eXoDOS v5

eXo

On 2/27/2022 at 10:59 AM, StarshipUK said:

I just tried to update this and I am getting an error :

The update version could not be found.
This typically means the internet is not reachable at this time.
Please check your internet connection.

However when I check the bat file and go to the website it points to I am getting a 404 not found for the URLs and a message about being down due to "Hardware failure, natural disaster, datacenter migration", which I am guessing is why the updating is not working.

Is there another update to be able to get the updates please?

I got the same error. Looked at the bat file and changed the part where it goes to the failed notification.
So if you edit the update.bat to the one I attached and just put the update.zip file in your launchbox directory.
Then run the update.bat....it will not give you the error and will just continue with the update.
Just make sure you place the update.zip in the update directory
:\LaunchBox\eXo\Update

The update you can download by directly going to following link and downloading the update

http://the-eye.eu/DO_NOT_DELETE_EXO/update.zip

update.bat

downloading it directly still requires putting it in the right folder and running the bat file to extract it properly

It is a much better idea to just get the updated batch file from the discord server

11 minutes ago, eXo said:

downloading it directly still requires putting it in the right folder and running the bat file to extract it properly

It is a much better idea to just get the updated batch file from the discord server

agreed. Was just commenting on comment from 'starship'

Exo, could you also reply to the questions I asked on bottom of page 2?

the manual was printed before the plug in was introduced. if you want the most recent "manual", I would recommend the wiki

wiki.retro-exo.com

it is much for complete, up to date, and detailed than the manual could ever be. 

I recommend getting information about the projects from my actual website and discord. I don't have a lot of time for forums, especially when I am just retyping things here that are already posted there. But here is the pinned message from the update channel on discord:

eXoDOS v5.1 (available now):
General:
Cleaned up setup.bat file

Utilities:
Added All-Seeing Eye
Added All-Seeing Eye 3
Updated Gold Box Companion to latest version (Aug 2020)
Added Ultimapper 5

Games:
3D Ball Blaster (1992) - Replaced with proper game (used to be 3D Cyberpuck, a later release)
3D CyberPuck (1995) - Upgraded to v3
ABC Fun Keys (1991) - Added registered version and later shareware version as options
After Burner (1989) - Fixed launch batch
Alley Cat (1984) - Added CGA version select
Bandor - The Search for the Storm Giant King (1992) - Fixed sound crashes
Blue Balls (1991) - Added versions 1 and 2 to the launch menu
Bug Bomber (1992) - Enabled sound on title screen
Call of Cthulu - Shadow of the Comet (1993) - Added H.P. Lovecraft Museum option
Championship Manager - End of Season Edition (1994) - Cracked
Championship Manager (1992) - Cracked
Conquests of the Longbow - The Legend of Robin Hood (1991) - Added EGA patch
Constructor (1997) - fixed mouse sensitivity issues
Crazy Nick's Software Picks (1993) - Upgraded a few games from PC Speaker to Adlib
Cyril Cyberpunk (1996) - fixed cycles and save games
Darklands (1992) - Updated Roland drivers
Duke Nukem 3D - Atomic Edition (1996) - Changed RAM in conf to prevent exit crashes
Eric the Unready (1993) - Fixed in game text
Eye of the Beholder (1991) - Cracked
Eye of the Beholder II - The Legend of Darkmoon (1991) - Fixed missing sound issues in standard version. ASE version still has them.
Eye of the Beholder III - Assault on Myth Drannor (1993) - Cracked and updated 

I think you misunderstand how the update works. It doesn't change your zip files. If it did, you wouldn't be able to seed them anymore. And many people seed the project while they use it. Rather, the update files reside in a folder and when you install a game it checks to see if there is anything or that game in the folder. If there is, those files are patched in during the install.

• Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone.  Exo, amazing work, kudos!

Sorry to re-ignite an old thread.  I have a problem that I can't find an answer to after searching a couple of hours online.  Even after watching Exo youtube videos.

I got the lite version and after install when I try to run LaunchBox, it opens completely empty.  Has this happen to anyone else?  Do you know how can I fix this?

I have included a couple of images for reference.

Thank you

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Looks like the install didn't finish properly.

This could be due to a few things. 

1. One of the files is corrupt. Where duff you get the pack from? If torrent, run a recheck on the files.

2. If you got it from a mirror online and downloaded it directly, it is possible that the directory structure wasn't maintained.

3. The setup just wasn't finished yet, and it never got to the point it copies the xml file to the data folder.

Thank you for your reply @eXo.

I got the torrent file from your website (https://www.retro-exo.com/exodos.html).  I would never have guessed that the problem could be something missing as the installer seems to go all the way through.

I actually did the process twice (as I kept the 'installer' in my NAS).  Definition of insanity righ?!  Repeat the same thing and expect different results.

How can I recheck the files?  Isn't it done on first run of the Setup.bat?

Thank you.

Is the installer finishing? Are you getting a message that says "all done", or something along those lines?

It should ask at some point if you want to keep the adult games in the list, or rent them. Asher you answer this question, it copies an xml file to the .\data\platforms folder.

The screen shot you showed is how launchbox looks when no xml is loaded.

Next question. Are you starting launchbox from the same folder you installed the game? If you have a second installation of launchbox on your machine, I suppose it's possible you could be starting that one accidentally.

Hi, thank you again for your help.

The installer finishes and I am greeted with the message to start launchbox.

It asks about the adult games and then, after the install finishes its course the .\data\platforms folder is empty.  "The screen shot you showed is how launchbox looks when no xml is loaded." Yes, this is what happens.

There is no other instance of LanuchBox in this machine. 

I solved the problem by downloading everything again, using the torrent from your website and starting a clean install.  I am still appaled to what happened because the process went the same way as the one I was having issues with.  I honestly do not know what happened. 

Regardless, thank you so much for your help it was your statement: "1. One of the files is corrupt. Where duff you get the pack from? If torrent, run a recheck on the files." that got me thinking about it and led me to get a new download going.  Up until now, my belief was that the issue would persist.  But, thankfully everything is fine.

Thank you so much for all your help, patience and time.

Regards

I went down a similar rabbit hole! For anybody having issues, first thing to do is let your torrent client recheck the torrent.

In my case a few files were corrupt/not completed like unpack.exe even though the first time it downloaded the torrent client (qbittorrent) reported it finished 100%. The setup worked so I also thought everything was OK. When reschecking torrent it suddenly reported 98% complete. At 100% I rechecked once more to be certain and after that the exo setup worked flawlessly...