LaunchBox Community Forums

11.9 Update Help Needed

When I try to launch the update, I get an error message that it can't apply the update because the file may be in Dropbox (it isn't), see attached. When I try to download and run the setup file, it is installing the main Launchbox files and .exe in the Launchbox/Core folder rather than the root that I specify, so launching it just opens a fresh install of LB, it doesn't recognize my files, license, etc.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks for any help.

LB.jpg

Tried that also, get this error attached.

Basically, I try to run the update whenever I start LB as it prompts me to do that. After it installs and tries to open, I get that error about Dropbox, and it reverts back to 11.8.

If I try to just download and run the 11.9 file from the website, it doesn't install to the root LB where the current Launchbox.exe is, but instead to the /Core subfolder, which doesn't work because running that .exe is just opening a version of LB that doesn't see the previous installation, it's functioning like a fresh install. 

When I try to run that already downloaded update file, I get that error I'm posting now.

Hopefully this makes more sense about the problem.

Thanks for any additional help.

LB2.jpg

Yes, exactly. I didn't before I tried to do the new 11.9 install but I do now. See attached, Core is the top image, root on the bottom.

Core.jpg

Root.jpg

Edited by Gumdoc
Forgot one thing
1 minute ago, Gumdoc said:

Yes, exactly. I didn't before I tried to do the new 11.9 install but I do now. See attached, Core is the top image, root on the bottom.

Core.jpg

Root.jpg

Launchbox is a portable program so there are no registry entry's as to where you have yours installed, so you have to specify that yourself. If you now have a Launchbox folder in your Launchbox folder you installed one folder level to deep. I cant see the actual path from your images, but say it was D:/Launchbox, then you would install to D:/ not D:/Launchbox as that is telling it to install the new Launchbox folder inside of your existing Launchbox folder.

• Like 1

THANK YOU! That did the trick. Funny, I always I thought I had installed to the /Launchbox folder instead of the root of the drive to overwrite it, but your solution worked. Thanks again 🙂

• Like 2

I'm also seeing this issue this morning on Version 11.8, as are other users by the looks of the Forum. Manually updated to version 11.9 with latest installer and still seeing this issue.  LB has been running fine for a year with no modifications or incorrect installations.

Edited by earthprime
On 1/28/2021 at 12:52 PM, Gumdoc said:

When I try to launch the update, I get an error message that it can't apply the update because the file may be in Dropbox (it isn't), see attached. When I try to download and run the setup file, it is installing the main Launchbox files and .exe in the Launchbox/Core folder rather than the root that I specify, so launching it just opens a fresh install of LB, it doesn't recognize my files, license, etc.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks for any help.

LB.jpg

turn off your 2nd monitor, install, then turn it back on, that worked for me :) 

Edited by kidshoalin
On 1/30/2021 at 6:01 PM, kidshoalin said:

turn off your 2nd monitor, install, then turn it back on, that worked for me :) 

To be honest, there's no reason why a monitor should be causing this lol. Most likely that was probably just a coincidence. ;)

On 1/30/2021 at 12:23 PM, earthprime said:

I'm also seeing this issue this morning on Version 11.8, as are other users by the looks of the Forum. Manually updated to version 11.9 with latest installer and still seeing this issue.  LB has been running fine for a year with no modifications or incorrect installations.

This is almost guaranteed to be caused by some kind of a background app. Worst case scenario, you should be able to just reboot and that should fix the issue, assuming you don't have a background app that runs again on startup and does the same thing.

I also thought this was a background app, since the notification is pretty clear, however I rebooted several times and ensured no background LB was being used.  I think the issue is caused when LB connects to Emumovies or the LB database, while at the same time attempting a separate connection to its UPDATE database.  I didn't run a Wireshark trace, but I think the socket remained OPEN until I shutdown several times.

To recreate, open an 11.8 LB and immediately start importing a large volume of ROMS.  During the import process, LB will also ask you to UPDATE, and locks into a condition where you have to accept.  ACCEPT, and then wait for this popup notification to appear about background process using LB.

4 minutes ago, earthprime said:

I also thought this was a background app, since the notification is pretty clear, however I rebooted several times and ensured no background LB was being used.  I think the issue is caused when LB connects to Emumovies or the LB database, while at the same time attempting a separate connection to its UPDATE database.  I didn't run a Wireshark trace, but I think the socket remained OPEN until I shutdown several times.

To recreate, open an 11.8 LB and immediately start importing a large volume of ROMS.  During the import process, LB will also ask you to UPDATE, and locks into a condition where you have to accept.  ACCEPT, and then wait for this popup notification to appear about background process using LB.

Ah, interesting. Good discovery; yes, that's entirely possible. I assume the update works if you don't run an import process before being prompted to update?

Issue went away after I powered down for a short while.  I could then launch LB and update.  I'd say a easy fix would be for the update mechanism to standby if you're importing ROMS (i.e. you're not prompted to update if an import is happening).

• Like 1