Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Slow and choppy wheels BigBox Version 11.10


Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm experiencing slow and choppy wheel animations with the new BigBox Version 11.10. Does anyone else have this problem? Tested with multiple themes. Where can I download older LB versions to test if this problem is caused by the new version or not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thimolor said:

Where can I download older LB versions to test if this problem is caused by the new version or not?

You should have older versions of Launchbox in your Launchbox/Updates folder.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, just tested with 11.9. and the wheel action was a lot smoother even when additional images where loaded during selection. So there might be a performance issue in the new version or the themes made with Community Theme Creator Tool are broken somehow? Strange that nobody else is experiencing this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Are you experiencing it in the Default theme?

No. The slowdowns happen mostly in wheels that use box art or custom images. The wheel animation is different than before. I think in the older version there was more easing?

 

UPDATE, I just experienced slowdown with the older LB version also, so there might be issue with my system. Need to do some spring cleaning.

Edited by thimolor
Status update
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid I have to report back here and confirm that the performance is worse in the new LB version.

I just did a clean windows 10 install and tested with both 11.9 and 11.10. 11.9 was better and the wheel action was a lot smoother. 11.10 was choppy for my system at least (Ryzen 3700x, 16 gb ram, Radeon Vega 64) I will upload comparison videos tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, thimolor said:

I'm afraid I have to report back here and confirm that the performance is worse in the new LB version.

I just did a clean windows 10 install and tested with both 11.9 and 11.10. 11.9 was better and the wheel action was a lot smoother. 11.10 was choppy for my system at least (Ryzen 3700x, 16 gb ram, Radeon Vega 64) I will upload comparison videos tomorrow.

Is there a theme you are seeing it with more? And also can you confirm whether the issue occurs in default theme or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Is there a theme you are seeing it with more? And also can you confirm whether the issue occurs in default theme or not.

During some intensive testing I found out that horizontal wheels are choppy when loading big images like box art (these can be 3 mb in size). Default theme works fine and does not use horizontal wheels, so this might be a performance issue in the Community Theme Creator Tool @y2guru? Vertical wheels worked fine in all themes when loading big images after wheel selection, so it's a bit confusing.

I did some more testing between LB versions 11.9 and 11.10, and there is literally no difference in performance. 11.9 seems to perform a little better, but I don't know if it's just the smoother wheel transitions in the 11.9 version.

Tested with dirtyOld, CityHunter 2 and my upcoming new theme Pulse.

FINAL UPDATE

Ok, I did clean install on LauchBox on a bigger drive with more space. No more slowdown. Problem solved.

Edited by thimolor
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...