Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

11.13 Beta Testing


faeran
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Looking for input from everyone in regard to images not being saved (or deleted) when using the Add/Edit Game screen or the Download Metadata and Media tool. Also want to know if this beta helps those getting prolonged 404 session retry attempt.

Tagging users who reported one of these issues:

@OhBoy @vertigoelectric

The bug appears to be fixed in the latest beta. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@C-Beats I'm having an issue where the game details screen in BigBox comes up black with just the box art. It does this no matter what theme I use. I've noticed BigBox goes black when transitioning to the game details screen, and it seems to be getting stuck in that transition. Changing the transition type doesn't help. The only way to get out is to bring up the search dialogue and search for something. This bug happens about 10% of the time I access a game's details when I have a fully built cache, but I can't seem to replicate it when my cache is clear. I'm on the most recent beta, but I've tried the stable release to and it still happens. This issue was discussed a couple of years ago in another thread (Linked below), but the solution suggested in that thread did not work. Here's a picture of what is happening:

Bug:

example.thumb.png.456023bc4b80c56f0d0517490f959a7d.png

How it should look:

235033488_correctexample.thumb.png.243732c70348d8eb5fbde6538fb1f9e7.png

 

And here is the other thread with the same issue:

 

Edited by OhBoy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've also been experiencing the black screen from time to time in which mostly happens with my Commodore 64 stuff to where even though it goes black when hitting Enter, I can hear it scroll around after I hit Esc and everything to where I end up having to Windows key and close it off with the mouse. Every time that happens, I end up changing the Transitions to that or whatever else seems to lag in hopes maybe that helps performance a bit. Commodore 64 is the largest library I have, so I wonder if it's just too much to process as a whole until things either develop better with each Beta or however I continue to clean, edit, and organize it all properly. This and the fact Clear Logos don't always load all the way on the Game list at times has me to wonder if all is sort of related since they all have to do with loading everything up in a smooth and timely manner without missing a beat

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey all,
Thanks for linking my post, I have just been using LaunchBox since rather than BigBox, however I will give this latest beta a try and hope that I don't come across the issue any longer.

Cheers. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@OhBoy I doubt this issue is related to the beta, as you have found a forum post that old about it. I've noted it though and will take a look into it. Could I get the following information from you in regard to the error:

What theme(s) do you see this on?
Can you make it happen by doing a certain thing, or does it seem random?
Do you have any plugins installed?
What are your Big Box settings? Are you supposed to be playing a video, or loading an image? What Background transition do you have selected?
Do you have any logs produced when you notice this happening you could send my way?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

@OhBoy I doubt this issue is related to the beta, as you have found a forum post that old about it. I've noted it though and will take a look into it. Could I get the following information from you in regard to the error:

What theme(s) do you see this on?
Can you make it happen by doing a certain thing, or does it seem random?
Do you have any plugins installed?
What are your Big Box settings? Are you supposed to be playing a video, or loading an image? What Background transition do you have selected?
Do you have any logs produced when you notice this happening you could send my way?

It happens with every theme, even the default theme. It seems random, but it only happens after I've built my entire image cache. If I clear the image cache it doesn't happen. 

No plugins installed. I use the Quick Fade transition, but it happens even with transitions disabled.

The bug always occurs when transitioning to the game details screen. It should be loading the Fanart-Background image and the game's video snap.

I'll test more today and post the logs after it occurs again. Here's a copy of my BigBox settings:

 

BigBoxSettings.xml

7 hours ago, RULLUR said:

I've also been experiencing the black screen from time to time in which mostly happens with my Commodore 64 stuff to where even though it goes black when hitting Enter, I can hear it scroll around after I hit Esc and everything to where I end up having to Windows key and close it off with the mouse. Every time that happens, I end up changing the Transitions to that or whatever else seems to lag in hopes maybe that helps performance a bit. Commodore 64 is the largest library I have, so I wonder if it's just too much to process as a whole until things either develop better with each Beta or however I continue to clean, edit, and organize it all properly. This and the fact Clear Logos don't always load all the way on the Game list at times has me to wonder if all is sort of related since they all have to do with loading everything up in a smooth and timely manner without missing a beat

Yeah I think it's related to not being able to access the image cache quick enough. Can you try clearing your image cache and see if it still happens? The issue stops when my image cache is clear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, OhBoy said:

 

Yeah I think it's related to not being able to access the image cache quick enough. Can you try clearing your image cache and see if it still happens? The issue stops when my image cache is clear.

Doesn't seem to help when I do it for the countless times I've tried that method to even Alt+Tab over to the Cache-BB folder and watch them load up in the folder to see how the process is going. I've even tried to force populate too, and still coming across issues. Like the only quick solution for me in seeing all the Clear Logos is by hitting Esc and going back to the list, but then what happens is you scroll a bit more and it happens again. Like if I wait forever for them all to load up, I can scroll almost all the way without them coming up blank until they appear. Thing is even after all that wait, I'll still have that issue again if I was ever to leave the list and come back later

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@OhBoy I believe I have found the cause of the Game Detail black screen bug and have code in place to correct it. Should be in the next beta release.

@RULLUR I am actively looking into CoverFlow images not loading, but haven't found a cause for what you're seeing. I believe you sent me your data folder in the past but just so I know I have an up-to-date version could you throw your data folder into a zip and PM it to me? I can use it to help track down the cause of what you're seeing.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure what happened, but after I sent you the PM and restarted my PC because a Windows Update, I now am greeted with this error that closes off LaunchBox when I pick "Close". BigBox seemed to work fine, but seems while the error pops up is when LaunchBox is "Parsing EmuMovies". Just very odd

image.thumb.png.1f2cef65d694adaf2dd1c8fa2babcf95.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

Not sure what happened, but after I sent you the PM and restarted my PC because a Windows Update, I now am greeted with this error that closes off LaunchBox when I pick "Close". BigBox seemed to work fine, but seems while the error pops up is when LaunchBox is "Parsing EmuMovies". Just very odd

image.thumb.png.1f2cef65d694adaf2dd1c8fa2babcf95.png

That will be corrected in the next release. Big Box doesn't try to resume your downloads like LaunchBox does so it makes sense you would see it one and not the other. If you want to you can remove the ImageQueue.xml file from your data folder while LaunchBox is closed to cancel your downloads and get rid of that error.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

That will be corrected in the next release. Big Box doesn't try to resume your downloads like LaunchBox does so it makes sense you would see it one and not the other. If you want to you can remove the ImageQueue.xml file from your data folder while LaunchBox is closed to cancel your downloads and get rid of that error.

I thought I was done earlier getting all the Media today I wanted to Update games I recently put Backgrounds into the Games DB and whatever else related to those titles too. So I find it odd to have it give an error and act like I maybe had more media to download after I was pretty sure the process was finished. I just hope the next Beta will patch everything about this, the black screen, and the clear logos not loading all the way too.

Edited by RULLUR
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After removing ImageQueue.xml I came across a glitch in BigBox where the Clear Logos overlapped each other while the layer under it is where I started. I tried to screenshot it, but wasn't able to get it to show how crazy it looks. Happened in my Game Boy Color stuff though. I will try again to post that screenshot if it happens again

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, C-Beats said:

@OhBoy I believe I have found the cause of the Game Detail black screen bug and have code in place to correct it. Should be in the next beta release.

@RULLUR I am actively looking into CoverFlow images not loading, but haven't found a cause for what you're seeing. I believe you sent me your data folder in the past but just so I know I have an up-to-date version could you throw your data folder into a zip and PM it to me? I can use it to help track down the cause of what you're seeing.

I think my issue with the black screen and the image cache issue @RULLUR posted are connected, because I also have the issue he has with cover flow not loading images. I noticed that when I get the black game details screen, it’s also when I also have the cover flow issue. But when cover flow works correctly, I don’t get the black game details glitch. Also my HDD is active when this happens, so I wonder if it’s something with it the HDD being busy when BigBox tries to load from the cache. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was able to find the cause for the black screen thing, and it was a essentially things loading out of order causing confusion in the program. I have my doubts though that it will correct the issue RULLUR is seeing but we can vet that out.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@C-Beats, just some feedback on the 404 session expired issue you requested.  I updated to beta 3 and tried a 'download metadata and media' for my whole collection.  I left it overnight as just the metadata download was taking more than 2hrs.  When I checked this morning I could see the process had stalled about 1000 items into a roughly 10k item download.  No error, just that the download was stalled on a specific item and could not continue.  The error counter had 5 entries, 4 were 'file does not exist', the last one being a 404 session expired error.  I closed launchbox and restarted, this time only around a dozen items downloaded before it got stuck.  I tried a final time and also only got a few more items in before it got stuck on an item again.  These were different items each time.  Also, I was getting the crash message when I closed launchbox which I guess is the same everyone else was getting.  I then installed normal 11.2 over the top and download running fine now, about 3k items in so far.

Hope that helps somehow!!

Edited by ferretlegs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beta 4 is out with the following changes:

  • Fixed: Playlists were not prioritizing videos for games in the playlist
  • Fixed: Controller metadata scraping wasn't properly using a platform's Scrape As to assign metadata
  • Fixed: Corrected Amazon library import logic to get entire Amazon Games library (introduced in 11.13 beta 3)
  • Fixed: Corrected threading error (introduced in 11.13 beta 3)
  • Fixed: Pressing cancel on media downloads wasn't always respecting the cancel request
  • Fixed: Horizontal platform wheels weren't correctly setting the Navigation Binding (introduced in 11.13 beta 2)
  • Fixed: Rare error when searching games via the Add/Edit Games screen
  • Fixed: Error when pressing "Select Random Game" inside of a filter with no games
  • Fixed: Corrected error that would cause Game Details in Big Box to freeze showing only a black screen
  • Fixed: Trying to open a second instance of LaunchBox while another instance is in the system tray will now restore the system tray instance
  • Fixed: Sounds weren't playing from the correct theme if using view specific themes (introduced in 11.13 beta 3)

Please continue to report any issues you find with this latest beta. Your help us much appreciated.

  • Like 10
  • Game On 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still having moments where the Clear Logos don't load up all the way down the Games list. Not sure if it's one of those moments where it loads this way one time and never again the next time I return to that Platform or not though. I know @C-Beats was saying like he was still figuring that one out last time he mentioned it, so I don't really know if he had made any success this Beta or maybe have to wait to see any improvement in the next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beta 5 is out with the following changes:

  • Fixed - Corrected sound playback issues after long periods of use

 

We are nearing the end of our beta cycle. If no other big issues crop up with this beta, expect the release within the week.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can confirm I have the same issues as @vertigoelectric.  I put in a bug report here:
https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/6196/emumovies-media-update-extremely-slow-1113

However, now having read the thread here, I am working around the issue by selecting a subset of titles, and then run the Wizard.  I did not realize I could do that!  I was running the wizard on its own, and it was going through the entire library!

Now that I understand the dynamic URLs generated by emumovies, I can see that this problem would be difficult to fix.  If we have thousands of titles, and tens of thousands of URL links -- visiting all of them to download their contents in a 15 minute window may be impossible!

Thanks for the feedback.  Not sure if it would be worth the effort of trying to have the program break it up into batches, querying the library, going to emumovies, it all seems circular/messy.  We're working around a URL that expires in a short amount of time.

Oh!  Almost forgot.  I had endless 404 session timeout errors on 11.12 standard release.  These seem to have gone away in the beta.

Edited by handyrandyrc
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...