LaunchBox Community Forums

My Attempt at utilizing dynamic marquee

RedHoodRobin64

Been playing around with photo shop and power point. I was advised to shorten my videos I was making, I took a break for a bit because life is just nuts, but hoping to come back to do this. My goal is to show off artwork and controls because its beautiful and its hard sometimes when I have games with too many buttons and ledblinky explaining them 1 by 1 is just not enough for new comers. I also plan to do this for every game I have (plus others if requested). Feed back is welcome and so is request. I'm gonna keep spit balling and see where this takes me. Some videos are longer then others. Some could use trims. But all in all with some advice and patience, I will get there.

My arcade is not typical to most. I have 2 screens side by side. So my marquee videos are kept in mind of that. Once I get settled in to my new home this summer, I plan to make more videos that fit typical types of marquees alongside a full screen tv marquee

Here are some samples. Hope you enjoy

And a huge thank you to SrfrBoyBobby for the template I use to make the controls. Would not have been able to do any of this with out his help and patience

Edited by RedHoodRobin64
  • Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

Absolutely, its really cool. I actually tried murging all 4 avp charcters bios in one slide. They all play at the same time but it dosent look as good because the screens go black at seperate times and causes it to look very off balance. 

Re shaping the videos is easy. The big trick with it is to make sure you end it on a blank black slide. This allows the looping process of the marquee video to be invisible. Its painfully noticible if you dont.

And if you ever desire custom control images from that templet, ive gotten pretty good at it

So amazing discovery! Had the brilliant idea to make the photo only fade away. That way there isn't separate Slides per side of the flyers and boxes. This could cut down on times big time with the box flipping. The reason I went with these openings is I just felt like having the logo and the logo from the box was just over kill. This way just adds the logo but theres animation to go with it so it dosent feel like i got it saying what the game is 3 times all over the place. But an absolute game changer to say the least

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So I got mixed feelings at the moment. The character bios and color changing buttons I'm absolutely sold on. I really like the box front and back transitioning. But the control screen feels really really cluttered. I figured I'd post my concept anyways just to show what I'm talking about

I really want to incorporate the real marquees for arcade games. I feel I would do a dis service if I didn't. Part of me wonders If I should keep it simple like that lightning one I did for mk2. But some games have great demo screens and bios of characters I can't pass on. 

It could be the wood background throwing me off. Just can't put my finger on it

The Last prob I seem to be having is the character bio usually at the end you will notice that it fades, then the whole thing fades. If I trim the video of the bio to where it ends on pimple, It just flashes black before the transition of the slide goes to the next. I'm wondering if there's a way to trigger the slide wile the video is going to make that a bit smoother

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

Posted (edited)

Finally! I think I finally have a game plan! So The play is I have this format for every game. I also think the buttons coming in off then glowing after the video comes in really helped. I plan to remake the ones I've already done with this cleaner interface, then continue in a very obviously random order of games lol. I'm super excited for this one!

The way I got the video to fade with the rest rather then leave a black square then move on, was to have a red fade animation set on the exact same time with all photos and the video. Behind all that media is just a pitch black rectangle. This allows for a smooth transition back to the start of the video 

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

Posted (edited)

Here is an idea for what console games could look like. There's some things that could be changed. The clock in time for this one is long. I could cut a ton of the intro video out so it is just the logo. I'll only do that if requested. I enjoy the eye candy. I also decided to do the video at the beginning to more or less emulate a fancy marquees since dreamcast and other consoles don't have that. Then it kinda fits along side the arcade ones I've been designing

As for the control templet, I could play around with the controller swap more. I would LOVE to figure out how to get the spinning disc from one of the themes on here to be up in the top left corner. Don't have to have the logo swap out but I thought it would be nice to show what system your playing when people scroll by. 

All in all this has been a ton of fun and everyday I seem to be teaching my self new tricks, so who knows, maybe it will all change. But I think now I have a solid foundation. I think I have arcade nailed, Its consoles I'm still trying to get my footing on. But I'll figure it out in no time.

(Edit) just tested this on my marquee. Very difficult to read the manual. Might have to re arrange it so the manual is bigger so your able to read it. Taking a brake for the day but I'll see what I can do to clean that up.

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

I didn't have a lot of time today because we are moving so I thought I could do a quick trim of mvc2. This one I think people will like more. I tried to play with the manual but making it bigger just did not flow right. I may try down the road to find a tutorial online or make one showing moves like super jumps and more of the baisic types of controls not covered on the buttons. Like tap twice or press both punches for dash, that kind of stuff. But this will do for now

Posted (edited)

Here is my retake on dig dug. I'm much happier with this one. I found a website that showed a grid of how scoring works in dig dug. Not a lot of people know how it works, so I thought I'd tear that grid apart and set them on a blank play field. Added some cool artwork to it as well. It's one of the coolest things I've ever made in photo shop. Hope everyone likes it

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

So this one Is not as exciting, but I still like it. Unfortunately some games like aliens and mvc2 they don't really have good demo screens. So I kept this one simple and I think it works for this one. I went through the manual of aliens and there really wasn't anything to grab from. So I just did the advertisement front and back.

This one I came up with a interesting technique. The title screen was tricky. Right as the last frog turns to a r, the scorings grid comes up. This presented a problem for the flow of how I've been doing things. So I cropped the video until I just had that blue background color and imported it as a image. Then I cropped that image so I could hide the score grid with out compromising the aspect ratio of the frogs 

Posted (edited)

Heres a sneak peak towards my next objective. I want to make a quote on quote marquee image of console games so it will match my arcade ones. It goes marquee image, then control template and video for either baisics or bios of characters, then if there is one, start screen with animations.

The reason this is a sneak peak is I am moving and I cant finish this one with out getting some demo footage. This game has such great footage to pull from. The opening cartoon is out of this world but too long for the video. When you do the first few levels, in the loading screen there sometimes are demo screens that show some basics like collecting the letters, pushing crates ect... My plan is on the control templet I will show those demo clips there

I also have plans to make a new area of posts. It will be called real dynamic marquee. These will consist of what normal people use for arcade marquees. Not a full screen monitor like my self. I have a plan for console games to have the first marquee image be the spine of the box rather then on top of the console like I did here. 

I'm not sure if anyone is even paying attention to these at this point, but il keep doing them regardless. Its just gonna slow down a bit with all this moving goin on

(Edit) i keep getting an error when trying to post the picture. I guess its in the wrong format. Il fix it tomorrow

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

So for what ever reason I cant get the Jersey Devil Pic I made to upload. Il just wait till its finished in the power point.

So steam game banners kind of replicate a arcade marquee. Wonderful on paper but the images lunchbox downloads get very blurry when blown up to full screen. I try to stay faithful to real artwork for the marquee screen, but I think with steam I'm going to try to stay as faithful as I can but find a larger image so the quality is there.

This marquee image is not the steam banner but its close and quite frankly looks better in my opinion so I think its good. I also for the control templet used screen shots of the help section of the game. Then recorded those separately and made it look like I was scrolling through the rules.