LaunchBox Community Forums

Idea/Request for any graphical artists willing to take it up. For the Wii and Wii U systems. Artwork for the "Controls Information" field.

Fugus

On the back of Wii and Wii U games, many of them have a picture at the top of the box of the types of controller setups it supports. My basic request would be for of a high quality set of the possible setups that different games can use and can potentially be added to each games database entries.

This would allow players to use them instead of downloading the full boxart to have them as they are needed and would make it much higher quality than many entries have on just the boxes. Also, it opens the ability for theme creators to be able to use that image for their theme where you could have the box load up like normal but the actual control information could also load up somewhere on the page so people can see without having to rotate the box.

Nothing elaborate or overly big or anything like that, just what it looks like on the top right hand corner of the box of their boxes.

Edited by Fugus

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 5:13 PM, Fugus said:

On the back of Wii and Wii U games, many of them have a picture at the top of the box of the types of controller setups it supports. My basic request would be for of a high quality set of the possible setups that different games can use and can potentially be added to each games database entries.

This would allow players to use them instead of downloading the full boxart to have them as they are needed and would make it much higher quality than many entries have on just the boxes. Also, it opens the ability for theme creators to be able to use that image for their theme where you could have the box load up like normal but the actual control information could also load up somewhere on the page so people can see without having to rotate the box.

Nothing elaborate or overly big or anything like that, just what it looks like on the top right hand corner of the box of their boxes.

Whats up. Are you still in need of graphics? If so, just to verify, you're talking about these right?

Controller Types.jpg

3 hours ago, flanx said:

Whats up. Are you still in need of graphics? If so, just to verify, you're talking about these right?

Controller Types.jpg

Yes sir, Exactly what I am talking about.

What I am thinking about is having the different versions of that being uploaded into the database for each game and then BigBox theme could display them per game so you can see what you need for each game without having to manipulate the 3D Box or manually view the media just to check it.

Not sure how many variations of it there are or who would have the time to manually add the appropriate one to each game but figure if they can get created and uploaded onto the sites download section, people will start adding them to the games and themes can start including them.

Edited by Fugus

11 hours ago, Fugus said:

Yes sir, Exactly what I am talking about.

What I am thinking about is having the different versions of that being uploaded into the database for each game and then BigBox theme could display them per game so you can see what you need for each game without having to manipulate the 3D Box or manually view the media just to check it.

Not sure how many variations of it there are or who would have the time to manually add the appropriate one to each game but figure if they can get created and uploaded onto the sites download section, people will start adding them to the games and themes can start including them.

Alright, I'll work on the graphics. Might take me some time to get all of them completed.

3 hours ago, Fugus said:

Much appreciated sir. To say I have no artistic talent is generous, I have negative ability at it if that is possible.

I think I got them all. Here are some samples at lower res. I'm going to try and use 7zip to compress them. Hopefully the file sizes aren't too big to upload here.

Sample.png

Thanks, if you don't mind me asking, what would be a good thing to use to arrange them into the proper orders?

Want to try and make variations for each of the setups for the Wii and Wii U and then upload them to the database if I can figure it out.

Edit: And noticed 2 missing icons.
The Gun thing like they used in 007
https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/images/71963-007-quantum-of-solace

And the balance board thing.

And, after I have it all setup, mind if I uploaded the finished stuff onto the downloads section?

Edited by Fugus

12 minutes ago, Fugus said:

Thanks, if you don't mind me asking, what would be a good thing to use to arrange them into the proper orders?

Want to try and make variations for each of the setups for the Wii and Wii U and then upload them to the database if I can figure it out.

Edit: And noticed 2 missing icons.

The Gun thing like they used in 007
https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/images/71963-007-quantum-of-solace

And the balance board thing.

I had a feeling I missed a couple. I'll work on those as soon as I can. Let me know of any others you find.

8 minutes ago, flanx said:

I had a feeling I missed a couple. I'll work on those as soon as I can. Let me know of any others you find.

Can do, what software should I use to setup a good order for them? And mind if I uploaded the finished product to the downloads section?

And the only other missing controller I can think of or find is the uDraw tablet.

Edited by Fugus

12 hours ago, flanx said:

Ok, here are the 3 missing icons in all 3 colors.

PNG Icons - Missing Icons.7z 1.84 MB · 0 downloads

Much appreciated again. I am thinking, since I suck at actually doing the artistic part.

If you are up for it, I could go through every Wii and Wii U entry in the database and make a listing of all the different setups from the back of the box by just cropping that part out when I come across a new one, then when I got ahold of every variation of it, I could upload it here so you could make one that looked good. If not, what software do you think would be a good one to make these look pretty well.

3 minutes ago, Fugus said:

Much appreciated again. I am thinking, since I suck at actually doing the artistic part.

If you are up for it, I could go through every Wii and Wii U entry in the database and make a listing of all the different setups from the back of the box by just cropping that part out when I come across a new one, then when I got ahold of every variation of it, I could upload it here so you could make one that looked good. If not, what software do you think would be a good one to make these look pretty well.

If you're looking for a basic photo editor that you can combine those images, GIMP is pretty good. Its like an open source Photoshop and its free. All the images I created are hi-res and have transparent backgrounds so depending on the color of background will determine the version you use. Light background, either black or blue. Dark background, white logo set. I'm not sure how launchbox / bigbox would scrape these images, but feel free to upload them to the database for people to use.

1 hour ago, flanx said:

If you're looking for a basic photo editor that you can combine those images, GIMP is pretty good. Its like an open source Photoshop and its free. All the images I created are hi-res and have transparent backgrounds so depending on the color of background will determine the version you use. Light background, either black or blue. Dark background, white logo set. I'm not sure how launchbox / bigbox would scrape these images, but feel free to upload them to the database for people to use.

Sure thing, I have my nephew staying with me for now and am preparing for surgery next week, but after that I already told everyone to leave me alone for the next few days at which point I will start scouring through that. Much appreciated.

Will try and go through it and make them as best I can after I get a chance and then I will upload what I can into the database while uploading the finished products on the website so others can fill in any I miss or when I get too burned out and have to take a break. My hopes is to have 1 set that matches the back of Wii games and another that matches the backs of Wii U games.

• 2 weeks later...

@flanx

I hate to say this, but mind if me or you just post what you have done so far the downloads section. It looks like it might be a while for me to really be able to focus on this and someone else might want to take over.

Had surgery last Wednesday, it was something I signed up for and while it only had minor complications, I DRASTICALLY underestimated how much it would wipe me out.