LaunchBox Community Forums

Upgrade MAME options in the MAME Arcade Full Set Import wizard

Hi there,

I am a MAME noob, so please excuse my ignorance. I setup a new MAME install using the MAME import wizard last month using the 0.261 full set and it went flawlessly. I am now looking to upgrade to 0.262. I am aware of the clrmamepro tool to combine the 0.262 update set etc.

My questions relate to the options in the import wizard for an upgrade, specifically "Automatically install and configure MAME" and "Update MAME emulator".

Which is the best option to update the existing MAME installation and import the new roms from the 0.261 to 0.262 update romset? I'd prefer to have it update the existing MAME installation in the "Emulators\MAME 0.261" folder, rather than create a new install folder named "MAME 0.262" if it would even do that.

Also, is it possible to rename the "MAME 0.261" folder to "MAME" and then update the path in the Emulator setup? Would there be any other place I'd need to change the path?

Cheers.

I have attempted the MAME folder rename and only had to change the path in Launchbox and re-add the command line parameters. Also changed the emulator name from MAME 0.261 to MAME. It was automatically picked up by the games. No issues seen so far. Still not sure about the MAME upgrade though. NB: Running Launchbox 13.11.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up biting the bullet and attempting this, using CriticalCid's (thank you) old guide as a baseline. I created documentation in MS Word as I progressed, that may help others in a similar situation. See attached.

The guide is based on Launchbox 13.11 and CLRMamePro 4.0.48.4. Screens may change with future releases.

CriticalCid's guide.

How to update your MAME Set.docx