LaunchBox Community Forums

3Dfx Support?

Hafitz

Hafitz said Hi Jason, Was wondering if the dosbox that comes with launchbox has a 3dfx support, if none, is there any plan to release with a 3dfx support? and can I simply use ykhwong's dosbox with launchbox?
We don't maintain, develop or even really offer support for DOSBox honestly. We have nothing to do with their project. Also yes, as long as the DOSBox exe's are the same name, It should be as easy as just replacing the folder. I've had to install DOSBox separately before. I would say to keep everything named the same because I don't know if LaunchBox is smart enough to just pick it up, but there also may be options in LaunchBox so you can just tell specific games who need a separate version to just use that one instead of the pre-bunbled DOSBox config.

thanks for the reply, I fully understand that dosbox wasn't developed by your team. I think I will try 3dfx game on the dosbox that comes with launchbox and see how it goes, if it doesn't work, maybe I can try and replace it with a 3dfx dosbox support while keeping the name of directories the same. But what I can suggest is that have a two separate Launchbox downloads, once that comes with 3Dfx dosbox support..

Hafitz said thanks for the reply, I fully understand that dosbox wasn't developed by your team. I think I will try 3dfx game on the dosbox that comes with launchbox and see how it goes, if it doesn't work, maybe I can try and replace it with a 3dfx dosbox support while keeping the name of directories the same. But what I can suggest is that have a two separate Launchbox downloads, once that comes with 3Dfx dosbox support..
Well I just said that because Jason can only keep up with LaunchBox really for programming right now, so if the DOSBox that is bundled with LB is under par, there isn't too much we can do about that. Now, if the version that is bundled isn't sufficient, it should be fairly easy to supplant another version of DOSBox. Does this specific version of DOSBox perform worse? Jason included the main fork of DOSBox for various reasons, but if this other version is comparable I don't see why it couldn't be added... there has just been not much of a request for an alternate version. Also... doesn't the DOSBox config handle any type of hardware? I was under the impression you wouldn't need an edited version of DOSBox? I have several hundred games... and I've honestly never run in to issues. Now I have my config edited and I use different render... ers and altered settings, but is this 3DFX exe more efficient at later DOS games. I presume this version is for games that were starting to use more advanced video rendering techniques?

Actually this version of Dosbox is good enough, only I was just wondering if it comes with a 3dfx support for games like Tomb Raider, Carmageddon, GTA, that kinda stuff...I haven't actually tried it out yet if it automatically will run the game in 3dfx mode. but so far the dosbox included itself it's good enough as I'm also able to use customize config settings and cycles for specific games that works for my hardwares.