LaunchBox Community Forums

Expansion Packs?

In virtute Dei

I don't think so actually, because it's generally not a separate game install, it's usually the same game install. However, I do think that there needs to be DLC and Expansion portions for games on the LB Games Database, and with Alex working on the Database that might be something that can happen sooner rather than later. I think it could also be possible, for a game that has an expansion attached to a game, to have it's own set of metadata and media and potentially be able to swap to that in LaunchBox?

While importing from Steam, I've seen where the Steam API has included a DLC as a separate "game", even though it requires the base game to play. Don't know why Steam did this, and I keep rejecting it from my personal database. I would think that a new data field within a particular entry within LaunchBox in the local database would be necessary for accommodation, maybe.

For what it's worth, I have lots of games with DLC on Steam that haven't been treated this way (Pinball FX2, for example - each table is a separate DLC).

Edited by chyatt6385

It depends on how it's flagged internally by the Steam API, and there isn't anything we can do to make them not do this, however, I could see that we combine it with the base game like we do Discs, but we'd need a way for us to identify what's what, and their API isn't super customizable (from what I've been told).

5 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

It depends on how it's flagged internally by the Steam API, and there isn't anything we can do to make them not do this, however, I could see that we combine it with the base game like we do Discs, but we'd need a way for us to identify what's what, and their API isn't super customizable (from what I've been told).

No, I wasn't thinking it was LaunchBox that was mysteriously attempting to scrape this single DLC out of many. I was sort of putting it out there that the Steam API/DB has its own errors as well.

But yeah, I didn't think about the multi-disc option, perhaps because I haven't used it personally.

I just synched my collection and realized that there IS a separate entry for at least one addon: Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna. If I remember right, it requires the original Dungeon Siege to play.

And then there's Star Wars: Empire at War - Forces of Corruption . . . The longer I sit here and think about it, the longer the list grows. :-)