LaunchBox Community Forums

Retro PC pickup

nosh

I took a little break from LaunchBox and working on my theme to work on my recent PC I picked up for retro gaming. I found it on craigslist and practically stole it, pretty happy about that. It is a Quantum3D Graphite which was actually originally used in the arcade game Arctic Thunder https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum3D_Graphite. Quantum3D manufactures durable PC's for commercial use, commonly used in arcade machines in the early 2000's and flight sims, the one I got actually came out of a flight simulator and still has the flight sim software still on it. Unfortunately this one was not the 3DFX version which, came with a Voodoo 3 card, this one has a Geforce 2 GTS and it gets the job done.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 733mhz
MEMORY: 256MB PC133 SD Ram
MB: Intel 815 motherboard
Video: Geforce 2 GTS
HDD: Quantum Fireball 20GB

Upgrades I have done so far:

New Blue LED 92MM intake fan
DVD/RW drive
Removed floppy and replaced with a 250GB slave hard drive
Sound Blaster Live! Value card

All in all I love this thing! Wish it had more room to mount hard drives, eventually I need to image the 20GB drive and replace with a larger one so I can add the floppy drive back in but it will do for now. I also picked up a 17' Dell Trinitron CRT which are the THE best CRT's ever made.

Next steps are to upgrade the CPU to the 1GHZ Pentium 3, get another stick of 256MB PC133 to max out the ram, upgrade the sound card to a Diamond Monster Sound MX300, and last but not least upgrade the video card to a 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 (if I can ever find one). I actually had a Voodoo 5 5500 and a few years ago I am pretty sure I threw it out (cringe), very elusive card to find now days.

Attached some pics of the PC and the rest of my "office".

20161102_223000.jpg

20161102_224101.jpg

Edited by nosh