LaunchBox Community Forums

Any way to download metadata manually?

Xananax

LB's downloader is not resilient enough for my extremely-very-incredibly-worse-than-dialup-connection.

I understand my situation is particular, so I'm not asking to make the downloader better; I assume it's good enough for 99.9% of users. Instead, I'd like to be able to download the metadata package externally and just dump it wherever LB will find it. 

So I guess my question is: what's the url for the metadata package, and can I download it with any resilient downloader such as Free Download Manager? And once downloaded, where do I put the file?

You currently can't download the media from the Database like that, however, you can click on a platform of your choice on the left, click a game, press Ctrl + A to highlight all of your games. Then, go to Tools -> Download Metadata and Images. When asked, choose the second option. You can download media from other places, as long as the name of the media matches the name of the game in LB or the Rom file, then restart LB, it should automatically attach. Otherwise the Download Metadata and Media tool is the way to go.

Thanks SentaiBrad, but maybe I was unclear; I am not referring to individual data packages, images and so on, but the metadata blob that LB asks to redownload everytime I add a game, and fails to download every time.

The box says:

"An updated metadata package is available from the Launchbox Games Database, would you like to download it before searching?"

When I'm updating the metadata of a single game, I have the option to say no; but if I'm importing many games, my metadata import will stall for 5mn during which LB is trying to update its definition, every time. I'm looking to update that blob so LB stops complaining and asking.