LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox: First-time run requires "Run As Administrator"

Shaeree

I moved BigBox to a brand-new Windows 10 install earlier.  On launch, it hung indefinitely until I killed it and started it "As Administrator."  It launches without prompting for elevation since.

The workaround's pretty simple, I'll admit, but now I'm wondering...

What's it writing to that it needs elevation?  Doesn't that make it not really portable?

Edited by Shaeree

If you have it in certain places on your C drive, sometimes you need to do that. It doesn't make it less portable, you can move your entire install to an external, and as long as the paths were relative or your games aren't changing paths, it will work just fine. If it's in a certain location that you need to run as admin, that's Windows fault.

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

If you have it in certain places on your C drive, sometimes you need to do that. It doesn't make it less portable, you can move your entire install to an external, and as long as the paths were relative or your games aren't changing paths, it will work just fine. If it's in a certain location that you need to run as admin, that's Windows fault.

You're right--it was 'Windows' fault.'

It's in a C:\Games folder I created where 'Authenticated Users' has modify+inherit...  But I did copy it from an NTFS partition, and occasionally inheritance doesn't merge the way a person thinks it should during file copies, so I probably had broken inheritance somewhere.  Hope that's helpful in case it happens to anyone else.

Edited by Shaeree

Butwaitwaitwait.  I'm having a logic problem with this--I moved it from somehwere else.  It had already been launched.  Shouldn't that one-time change it needed to make have already been made, if it was indeed a change inside the LaunchBox folder?

Edited by Shaeree

No, some programs, depending on the location on the Windows install drive, it needs extra permissions. For example,I re-installed a program recently, and I accidentally put it on the C drive, and it was giving me errors. Moving it back to a different drive, it ran better with no errors. Not all programs are the same, but sometimes they have functions that Windows doesn't like on certain drives. They made it a lot more complicated when you use your C drive for stuff.