LaunchBox Community Forums

Auto updated Games DB

MerlinArcade

I'm new to this MAME and gaming thing although I have been playing at the arcades when I was a kid in the early 80s.

I don't know if MAME added this feature recently or if if was there all along but I just noticed that MAME auto updates it's "Available" game list.

I thought we had to click the "Audit" option to tell MAME that we have added 1 or more games but the version I have right now I don't have to do this anymore. if I go in my ROM folder and remove 1 game and opens MAME, that game is not visible in the Available game list and If I add 1 or more ROM in my folder I will see them listed right away in MAME.

Of course you have to set MAME at the beginning by telling it where the ROM directories are in your PC but after that, you can remove or add ROM files and MAME does the rest automatically.

Basically if you do not have the exact ROM file for that game, MAME will tell you right away because the game won't be listed in the Available section.

I was wondering if LB had an "auto updated games DB" feature because for my clients who will buy my cabinets, having both MAME and LB/BB updating their games DB automatically would be awesome because they would only have to dump the ROM files in the ROM dir and both MAME and LB would update themselves and if you open up BB, you would see ready to run without having to setup MAME or LB and import each game like we do now.

I mean we can still open up LB and do that ourselves if we want to but if there would be an "Auto Update game DB" feature at startup every day/week/month in LB, as for me, it would be turned on that's for sure.

Thanks

Merlin

Edited by MerlinArcade