LaunchBox Community Forums

Dolphin have a 50 seconds startup time

Norfair

Suddenly my Dolphin installation has a 50 second startup time.

It doesn't respond to any input, but it doesn't seem to do anything (both CPU and HDD activity is 0 %, memory usage is around 100 MB the whole time).

I tried reinstalling Dolphin with default setting without any user data and I still have the 50 second startup time. I also tried disable the virus protection.

Do you have any idea how to solve this?

No specific advice but maybe a few probing questions for you that might help:

1. where are you isos? network, same disk, different disk? Whatever the answer is, copy an iso to another location and try loading it from there; if it works, you've at least narrowed down the issue. if they are local and you only have one disk, move on to question 2.

2. have you checked your windows system event log? If there are disk read errors, a lot of time they'll get logged

3. Does launching the game take 50 seconds or actually launching dolphin? Like if you go click dolphin.exe, is it 50 seconds before you see anything? If so, it's almost certainly some issue with an interfering application and/or security setting. if the former, refer to question 1.

Thanks for your reply.

It does take 50 seconds to actually start Dolphin (it starts but is unresponsive).

But today the delay is gone, it starts in under a second. This was after a reboot. There's no errors in the event log.

I've seen some weird things with my SSD before. Sometimes when I copy files it gets stuck at 100 % for about 30 seconds (as it has trouble finishing the copying). I've had several similar events with Launchbox, with a very long startup time (a reboot always helps).

The SSD (Samsung SSD 850 EVO) has the latest firmware. I've just set "OS Optimization" to "Maximum Reliability", I'm hoping this will make it better.

Edited by Norfair