LaunchBox Community Forums

I need help to make P UAE and VICE work for commodore games

demeth

I'm not very talented, especially considering  these platforms. Anyway i can't make C64, C128 or Amiga's games to work.

C64 games loads on vice x64 on retroarch but nothing happens.

C128 games have the same problem but I have to run them outside retroarch as it doesnt work.

Amiga games dont work either, my mouse is super fast, and when i manage to clic ok, P-UAE on retroarch crashes :/

This happens on the C64 on retroarch

Action Biker (USA, Europe)-170519-170904.png

• 7 months later...

This should be everything you need for Commodore C64/C128 emulation in Windows (W10 for sure).

1. Download the latest WinVice full version binaries (x64.exe, etc)
  2. Use the script below and put it into a .bat file. 
  3. When you setup your emulator just call the bat file. (screenshot below)
  4. Leave the default options on the emulator and make sure extract rom first is set to NO.  Hide console option seems to work for x64, but seems to mess up x128.  Your mileage may vary. 
  5. Optionally, setup a custom resolution for your video card, 1440x1080 which is 4:3(on a 1080 screen), then save that setting in the video settings on the emulators.  If you keep the "fullscreen" option in the script below the aspect ratio should look right.
  6. Make sure to right click on both x64 and x128 exe files and choose properties, go to compatibility and make sure "disable full screen optimizations" are checked (for Win 10, dunno about others). 
  7. Make sure 7z is in your Windows path variable, and alter the Emu and SourceDir to be where your X64.exe resides and where you want the file to temporarily extract to. Careful, I am deleting everything in that temp directory after emulation (like Launchbox would), so adjust as you see fit. 

This should work regardless of your file compression algorithm(zip, 7z, rar), and the script even creates a correctly ordered fliplist for those multidisk games.  Switch disks in WinVice with Alt-N when the game asks for the next disk then enter, just make sure your archives have filenames that are numbered or ordered in they way they should be played A, B, C, or 1, 2, 3 (this is usually how they are anyway).  This also works for the C128 as is just change the exe (x128.exe).

I could have done the tokens piece differently to find the disk names just using a directory listing post unzip, but I was just trying to account for other files that may also be in the directory, and this method also lends itself to emulators that support reading directly from archives.  I would suspect this script would work with a few changes for Apple2 GS, x6800k, MSX, etc. assuming they have playlist files, or probably with some changes even the Retroarch Vice core.  Took me most of a day to write, and test in LB so wanted to share with the community.

@echo on
setlocal DISABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
set EmuDir=%userprofile%\LaunchBox\Emulators\WinVICE
set SourceDir=%userprofile%\LaunchBox\7-Zip\Temp

7z.exe e %1 -y -o"%SourceDir%"

for /f  "tokens=*" %%a in ('7z.exe l %1^|findstr /b "[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9]"') do (
    Set str=%%a
    setlocal ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION      

if not "!str:~55,5!"=="files" (
        echo %SourceDir%\!str:~53! > "%SourceDir%\newfile.txt"

if exist "%SourceDir%\TEST.vfl" (
                type "%SourceDir%\TEST.vfl" >> "%SourceDir%\newfile.txt"
                move /y "%SourceDir%\newfile.txt" "%SourceDir%\TEST.vfl"
        ) else (
                    echo %SourceDir%\!str:~53! > "%SourceDir%\TEST.vfl"
                    Set RunStr=!str:~53!
                )
    )
)
:done

echo # Vice fliplist file > "%SourceDir%\newfile.txt"
echo UNIT 8 >> "%SourceDir%\newfile.txt"
type "%SourceDir%\TEST.vfl" >> "%SourceDir%\newfile.txt"
move /y "%SourceDir%\newfile.txt" "%SourceDir%\TEST.vfl"

"%EmuDir%\x64.exe" -fullscreen -flipname "%SourceDir%\TEST.vfl" -autostart "%SourceDir%\!RunStr!"
endlocal        

del /Q "%SourceDir%\*.*"

REM THE END

Untitled.thumb.png.0dec460d2572393dd6a867eeabc41579.png

Edited by gt46l