LaunchBox Community Forums

Curious how it works...

NLS

Ok so for MAME it is pretty clear how it scans things, as there is a single official collection of ROMS, of CHDs, of software lists (ROMs and CHDs again).

But for other platforms how does the scraper work?

For example I add Commodore 64, follow the tutorial... When it requests to add my "ROMs" (I hate the generalizaton "ROMs" in emulation btw, when NOT talking about actual ROMs), I point it to my Commodore 64 folder in TOSEC. And I mean the top Commodore 64 folder, including subfolders Demos, Apps, Collections etc.
Not sure I do right. How do I know WHAT collection the Commodore 64 scraper needs?

Maybe it understands No-Intro naming, maybe something else. How do we know?

Same for Amiga etc.

Even for MAME, the scraper adds many sections in the tree, I never asked. Is everything spread in those branches, or there are unclassified ROMs also in "All" (or in Arcade)?

So can someone clear things up for me please?

Edited by NLS

We don't base our collection off of a single rom set. We like the No-Intro set as a base, but we've talked about this in many many threads. Hell, our database isn't even fully complete yet. It's all community ran and moderated, and moving very fast.

I would only import your games folder, not the rest of that stuff. Make sure to extract any archives, then import just the games. There wont be any database information for anything else. Scraping works like Kodi or Plex, if the name is close enough in certain regards it will be found, but the names need to be as close as they can be to our database. The Initial scrape is a bit more strict to prevent items being identified wrongly, but it still happens from time to time (usually with multiple games that have the same name, or super simplistic names).

Wait you mean that for TOSEC to import C64 games I need to go to \Emulation\TOSEC\Main\Commodore\C64\Games\[D64] (to name just one folder as an example) and EXTRACT all 96 thousand files?

Why?

If I extract "2-D Cube (19xx)(-).zip" it only has a "2-D Cube (19xx)(-).d64", why I need to extract it? VICE works fine with zips directly, but even if it didn't I believe LB has an option to extract zips before using them ROM... am I wrong?

Yeah Launchbox will work with zips, its just a checkbox on or off. If your zips have the same name as the game within the zip then you can just import the zip files, of course you will need to wait for the game to unzip before playing but that should be pretty much instantaneous with games as small as C64. 

Most of those zips will contain multiple files, and having them be in zips wont function properly. I would delete genre's or games you're not fond of first, before you unzip them. I removed most sports games for example. Then, it should be smaller, but these files aren't large, there's just a lot of them. They should ideally be unzipped though.