LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box (to Retroarch) with Steam Link and Xbox 360 Wired Controller Issues

YandoTheMan

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to use Big Box as a way to easily play ROMs on the couch through my Steam Link. So far my library all points to Retroarch, though as I add more platforms that may change. Some issues I'm having:

1) For both Big Box and Retroarch (even when launching Retroarch alone), it seems like my controller is being treated like a mouse. The right stick is controlling the mouse, the triggers seem to control left and right click, and in Retroarch the B button instantly quits the program. I have both programs set up as shortcuts in Steam. This occurs even if I enable the Steam Controller-esque customisation and set the Desktop Configuration to Gamepad. Things seem to work fine with the controller plugged directly into the PC.

2) When I try to set Retroarch to fullscreen, I get no visuals from it. The mouse cursor is still present (and controllable, see above) as well as audio, but no picture until I go back to windowed. This happens even for Borderless Fullscreen.

3) (Not Steam Link specific) I'm using the default Big Box theme and the scrolling isn't great. If I'm scrolling through games rapidly and I stop and change direction things hang for a second. There can be a delay on my actions sometimes when selecting things too. My machine is fairly beefy so it should be able to keep up. Is this a limitation of Big Box?

4) (Not Steam Link specific) Scrolling and gameplay look really terrible in Retroarch unless I enable V-Sync, is this a limitation?

5) (Not Steam Link specific) Sometimes, trying to launch the game from Big Box gives a loading popup, followed by no result, and I'll have to use the Launch Retroarch option and start the game from there. I'm not changing any configs or even the game selection between these occurrences. Why is this happening?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'd really love to get a nice seamless experience going here, it's been a long time dream. Let me know if you need any more info on my setup.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your help. I've managed to fix the first issue by enabling the Steam Overlay for both Retroarch and Big Box. It seems it won't support controller mapping in programs it doesn't think are games without it.

The second issue was resolved by changing Retroarch's rendering method from OpenGL to Direct 3D. This messes up the XMB visuals however, so I'm using RGUI instead.

The fifth issue was user error, I didn't have the right associations between the Retroarch cores and the games in question set up.

The other issues remain however. Also, I think Retroarch does not play well with Big Box and Steam Link, it seems to crash a lot at various times, which is pretty frustrating when I'm downstairs and the PC is upstairs. I haven't done enough testing to confirm what link in the chain is at fault however.