LaunchBox Community Forums

Controller assignment issue

Chumpalot

Evening all,

I'm having an issue whereby both my 8bitdo SNES bluetooth controller and my Xbox 360 wireless pad are both being seen by the OS and emulators as player 1.  I have tried resyncing the Xbox pad whilst the SNES pad is connected but it just assigns to P1.  Everything else I have tried has been unsuccessful.

I think I know why this happens but grateful if someone could confirm and let me know if there's a workaround.  I believe this is happening because the two devices are using different connection methods (bluetooth and proprietary wireless).  Is this the case?

If I were to swap out the 360 pad for a PS4 pad would this resolve the issue?  Both pads would be using the BT dongle and hopefully play nicely together.  I would like the ability to pick up a different pad depending on the game I'm playing (SNES pad for older titles and newer pad for newer stuff).

Sorry for waffling.  It's late and I've been transferring a shed load of roms and updating Launchbox.

Cheers

Chumpalot.

A little update.  I paired a Sony Dualshock 4 controller via Bluetooth to my PC using the same dongle used for the 8Bitdo controller and both controllers are being assigned as player 1.   I'm not quite sure how to get round this.  I have tried switching both on and off when the other is one etc. , re-pairing, and different USB slots.  I'm not quite sure what else to try.   

For all intents and purposes things work fine.  All of the inputs are picked up on both controllers meaning MAME at least picks up player 2 inputs and some good Street Fighter action can be had.  I'd just like it if they were identified by Windows as P1 and P2 that's all.  I had a quick look to see if there was a way you could hard-code the assignment but I haven't come across anything yet.

If i add the Xbox controller into the mix all pads are still assigned P1 status.  Meh.

If anyone could shed any light that would be great.

Cheers
Chumpalot.

edit: so I cam across this:

-----------------------------------------
Firstly, there's a paired device and a connected device and then an actively communicatingdevice. Your links above confuse these and no distinction, but there is a difference in functionality. A device can be paired, but not connected. Similarly, it can be connected but not transmitting. Think of a paired device as a saved wireless network that you're not connected to.
--------------------------------------

From looking at my list of Bluetooth devices in windows, it seems that the 8bitdo controller falls into the first category, the PS4 controller looks like its the second category and then the Xbox pad is using the proprietary wireless network.  With all that in mind, if all three devices are using different ways of connecting then I can understand why they're all being seen as player 1.   Or maybe I'm making things more complicated than they should be. 

Edited by Chumpalot