LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox getting a black screen on Steam

AxlPaints

Hi All,

I would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem to what I have.

When I start Bigbox Through Steam BigPicture using a TV with Steamlink, I get a black screen with audio, but when I start an emulator it goes back to normal. If it exit said emulator it goes back to a blackscreen or the last image on the emulator stays frozen but you can hear the bigbox audio. If I start Bigbox through the "launch" button in the regular steam interface, the same happens.

However, if I launch Bigbox in desktop mode by clicking on the actual .exe file (not from Steam in any way), it shows on my TV except the controls don't work because steam does not recognize BigBox as a game (I guess?).

This is really frustrating, and I have been playing with different display and streaming settings with no success.

Could anybody provide advise? If it is of any help, my main display is 1080p while the TV is 4k, but like I said, Bigbox runs normally when not being launched from Steam.

Thank you in advance.

• 11 months later...

So I finally figure out a way to solve this problem, I don't know which of the following settings solved it, but now I can launch BigBox from Steamlink and see BigBox running on my mobile:

On Steam, I disabled the following settings:

• Shader Pre-Caching
    • [UNCHECKED] Enable Shader Pre-Caching
  • Controller
    • [CHECKED] Disable controller connected notifications in the  desktop client
  • Remote Play
    • Advanced Host Options
      • Unchecked EVERYTHING (from Play audio on host to Enable hardware encoding on Intel iGPU)
  • Interface 
    • Unchecked EVERYTHING from Scale text and icons to match monitor settings to Notify me about additions or changes to my games...,  
      EXCEPT Run Steam when my computer starts, this one I left CHECKED
  • In-Games 
    • Unchecked
      • Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game
      • Use the Big Picture Overlay...
      • Use Desktop Game theatre...
      • Display a notification
      • Save an uncompressed copy

I'm pretty sure there are options that can be checked/unchecked but I didn't try them yet, just wanted to help those with the same problem I had, after you see BigBox working you can get back and check/uncheck each option one at a time to see which one was causing the blank screen problema.