LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox 10.12 update - sound problems

rich_r97

Hello

I was using Launchbox/Big Box just fine today when I was on version 10.11 and everything was working perfectly.  I use Retroarch as my emulator and have a core for each of my platforms.  The only platform I don't use RetroArch is for Windows (obviously), with each Windows game running from a shortcut pointing to it's individual .exe. 

The second that Launchbox auto installed the 10.12 update this afternoon, I lost all sound for every game on any of the platforms that use Retroarch.  I even tried running Retroarch directly from the .exe (instead of through Launchbox), and there is still no sound for any game.  My Retroarch config file looks fine, with audio true, and audio mute false.  Sound is working on my pc just fine, as my Big Box game videos play their music and moving through the carousel plays it bleeps and bloops sound effects, and when I load up a Windows game from Launchbox/Big Box, sounds plays just fine since it isn't using Retroarch.

I looked up old threads here where people had sound problems with Retroarch and I tried their fixes but nothing worked - one solution was changing in the retroarch audio menu from 48000hz to 481000hz, and changing back to 48000hz, or another saying to change the audio driver from xaudio to dsound or some other choice.  None of it worked.

Any ideas on why this is happening for Retroarch?

Thanks

I may have given up on my troubleshooting a little too early before posting my thread.  I went back into Retroarch audio settings, and I saw that Volume Gain (dB) was set to -64.  The text for this field says that 0 dB is normal volume.  So I changed the -64 to 0 and I got my sound back.  I have no idea why that setting was changed, but once again, retroarch was working fine until 10.12 auto-updated, that was the only change that was made to my Launchbox set up.  And once again, it was immediately noticeable.  Games were playing fine with sound, it auto-updated to 10.12, games lost their sound.

Hopefully, if someone else has the sound problem after installing 10.12, this will help them out.  Cheers!