LaunchBox Community Forums

Gravis Ultrasound issue

KingUniverse

So after extensive troubleshooting, I've found an issue that I would appreciate the community's input on.

At first, I couldn't get Gravis Ultrasound to work at all, then after trying a ton of different things, I found that putting the ULTRASND folder inside the root of a game folder made it work.
To the best of my knowledge, this is because every DOS game I imported has the "root folder" defined (Each "root folder" is the individual game's folder inside my DOSGAMES folder), so I'm assuming it's mounting the individual game's folder as "C:\"

My question is this:

What's the best approach to have a central ULTRASND folder load for every game?

Is there a way to batch edit the "root folder" for every game to mount as "H:\DOSGAMES\" (and have the ULTRASND folder in there)?

They're already imported, and there's A LOT, so manually editing them is out of the question)

Or somehow trigger an "ignore defined root folder" flag for every game?

or do I have to put an ULTRASND folder inside every game I want to use Gravis Ultrasound with?

I've also tried "mount e H:\DOSGAMES\"
with the ULTRASND folder inside there, and defining the ULTRASND folder as "E:\ULTRASND" but the DOSBOX config file won't run those commands when starting a game because a "root folder" is defined (I guess the config file ignores any AUTOEXEC commands when this is defined)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

I have tried adding a mount inside Launchbox edit for one game (mounted H:\DOSGAMES\ as "e" with the ULTRASND folder inside) and set ULTRASND folder as E:\ULTRASND in the main DOSBOX.CONF and it worked, but how can I mount this everytime, for every game without having to edit each game individually?

EDIT:

Is there a way to put the ULTRASND folder inside whatever z: is mounting from?

Edited by KingUniverse

• 4 weeks later...

I think they broke it somewhere along the line by adding in the "feature" to ignore the autoexec commands in the default DOSBox configuration file, which is where you're supposed to add the MOUNT command for the Ultrasound files.   Was driving me mad trying to figure out what was wrong, since when I  open DOSBox from LaunchBox without running a game, it runs the autoexec and everything is configured correctly.

I added it to the main DOSBOX config and it just transfers to any subsequent custom config (since it bases the "new" config file off the default) so it's working no matter what config file is being used. With that said, I found out that Gravis Ultrasound through DOSBOX only outputs in Mono anyway, so I would rather use Roland/SB anyway. I will take a less robust sound for Stereo any day.

I tried adding the mount to the [autoexec] section of the main DOSBox config file (in ...\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\DOSBox\dosbox.conf) but that didn't didn't work when launching a game (only works when not launching a game).  I also tied creating an individual dosbox.conf file for a game but that also didn't work.

For the two games I've tried so far (Doom and Doom II), I get mono music from the GUS like you say, but when I use the PLAYMIDI GUS utility to play a midi file, I get stereo.  So I think it may be an issue with the game rather than with DOSBox.