LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch - Mame-2003-plus not using input mapping from RA - Totally Stuck!

azz09

Hi, So I have Launchbox running with RA on Windows 10, ver 1.8.4, works fine for the most part but I am noticing that Mame 2003 plus is not picking up my input mapping. 

I have everything for Player 1 and 2 setup in RA under "Settings - Input". 
I also confirm the input settings look fine when launching a game and going into "Quick Menu - Controls" 

But when I press TAB in Mame, go to "Input (General)" it does not match up. I thought RA was supposed to 'hand' Mame-2003-plus all the controls, so I don't have to set anything in Mame itself?

A good example, for Player 2 Up/Down/Left/Right in the Mame "Input (General)" it lists 'r f d g' for up/down/left/right. I never set that anywhere I know of, it almost seems it is using keyboard controls now for this core for player 2.

I have tried to delete nvram files under saves, cfg files, core overrides, been honestly working on it for 3+ hours and I am SURE there is something easy I am missing.

OH - and I have tried under RA "Quick Menu -> Options" once in a game to set "Legacy Remapping" to OFF vs ON. Does nothing. 

Would appreciate any help, even if it means having to set Mame -> TAB -> Input area for all controls, but again I thought that was the big reason to use RA so you don't have to do that. 

Thank you!

Just noticed one more thing - tried to play with Input Interface under Options, not sure this means anything?

(BTW I am using Ultimarc iPAC connected to Joysticks and buttons, a standard setup.

So I went into: 

"Quick Menu -> Options -> Input Interface" 

If I set to Keyboard, nothing works including my actual keyboard (no TAB in Mame, etc.) 
If I set to Retropad, nothing works
If I set to Simultaneous, then joysticks / buttons work like normal but again mapping is off.

• 2 years later...

Hey, I know it's been awhile.. but have you figured this out? I'm in the same situation (iPac setup), and I can't seem to get Retroarch and MAME to work together. Is it because we're basically using 2 keyboards?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

genkk - sorry for the delay. So I ended up actually ditching Retroarch completely, I had nothing but issues with it and although the concept is great it was not worth the frustration. 

I now run MAME itself (I can find the exact version if you like) and just plug in global controls in MAME and maybe tweak individual games where needed. 100% easier and works every single time. 

Yes you would need to manage controls for each emulator - and tedious if you have a ton of emulators, but since 98% of what I play is in MAME it's not a big deal. Also you are just setting up controls 1 time so still better in long run (instead of Retroarch). 

Anyway - wish I had better news for your Retroarch issue, good luck!