LaunchBox Community Forums

Games loosing focus at startup

jaydog6378

This is reproducible and is only happening with a few steam games out of about 20 that I’m playing on my arcade. It only happens after I launch a mame game. The mame game launches fine but afterwards if a certain steam game is launched the game starts big box and shows the now loading screen then kicks back to big box while running the game out of focus. I can hear it in the back ground but everything is locked. The only way to run these games is to restart big box and not run mame. Games that currently have these issues are dragons lair 1 and 2, space ace and pac man deluxe dx. 

Ok was able to further dig into this problem. Alt tabbing is completely locked for these particular steam games after mame has been launched and exited. There is no way to take focus or control of the game. After exiting big box though the ability to alt tab is regained. This is clearly a LB/BB issue. The only way to play these games without issue is to launch big box without running mame prior. Also noting that when I play them without prior launching mame, alt tab is working fine within BIgbox with these particular games.  I’ve tried everything and still no luck. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Can you be more specific than "if a certain steam game is launched", and "these particular steam games"?  I don't mean to be a jerk, but I'm not sure how anyone would be able to help you unless you can be more specific here.  Also, there are a lot of posts on this forum about how to resolve focus issues, have you tried any of those?

3 minutes ago, DrGrizzPHD said:

Can you be more specific than "if a certain steam game is launched", and "these particular steam games"?  I don't mean to be a jerk, but I'm not sure how anyone would be able to help you unless you can be more specific here.  Also, there are a lot of posts on this forum about how to resolve focus issues, have you tried any of those?

The specific games were mentioned in the first post. But yes I’ve tried quite a bit of the suggestions disabled startup etc.

11 hours ago, DrGrizzPHD said:

Sorry, I missed the last part of your first post. I downloaded the GOG version of Dragon’s Lair trilogy and couldn’t reproduce the issue.  I also launched some Steam games after launching MAME and didn’t see the problem.

How are you exiting MAME?

It’s all good. I went ahead and just grabbed the dragons lair trilogy from GOG and it works great. Very consistent. All of my steam games launch fine except those and only on those conditions. Really weird. Only problem game now is pac man dx and I rarely play that anyway. Maybe one day it will resolve itself with an update. This definitely did the trick. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, jaydog6378 said:

It’s all good. I went ahead and just grabbed the dragons lair trilogy from GOG and it works great. Very consistent. All of my steam games launch fine except those and only on those conditions. Really weird. Only problem game now is pac man dx and I rarely play that anyway. Maybe one day it will resolve itself with an update. This definitely did the trick. Thanks again!

Yeah those original Dragon’s lair Steam releases look a bit old so they may be doing something funky in Windows 10 that was never patched or something.  That doesn’t explain why it only happens after launching a MAME game though.  I am glad you found a way to get those games working on your setup.

Just taking a shot in the dark, but you could try disabling full screen optimization for that pac-man game and see if it does anything.  Unfortunately I don’t have that version of pac-man, otherwise I would be more than happy to tinker around a bit and see if I could fix it.