LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing error: "Insufficient resources exist to complete the requested service"

kcsmnt0

For context, I've been using LaunchBox for a little over a year now with a pretty big ROM collection across a pretty big variety of systems, and I haven't run into any significant issues like this before. I'm running on Windows 10, 64-bit, Launchbox 11.8 with a lifetime license. (EDIT: I've updated to LaunchBox 11.9, and I'm still seeing the same problem.) I'm trying to import the TOSEC Commodore 64 collection now, and LaunchBox keeps crashing with this error:

Selection_451.thumb.png.ed8ded002d65d93b31b4cc22d8a98bf9.pngLaunchBox dies completely as soon as I click the OK or close button on the error. The error is triggered by advancing to the last page of the import wizard, when clicking the "Next" button on this page:

image.thumb.png.c3dfd6816d10f5d732af4bd5bfcfa1e2.png

As the path implies, I'm trying to import from a remote server ("IndestructibleRecord") over SMB. I'm choosing the option to use files in their current location, not copy or move them to the client. I have no reason to believe that my server is faulty or misconfigured, and I can access and copy files from this path without issue using other applications, including Windows Explorer. (Playnite also has no problem importing from this path, but sadly it doesn't have all the features I like in LaunchBox!)

I've done some Googling and tried some weird registry tweaks (which I reverted after they didn't work), and nothing seems to make a difference with this problem. It always errors somewhere in that "Collections\BugJam" folder, but in different subfolders each time. I can't find anything strange or unique about the subfolders under "Collections\BugJam" - there's just one file in each subfolder named like "BugJam Box020 Disk035 (198x)(BugJam)(Side A).d64" (no weird characters in the filename or anything), and the whole SMB path to each file is at most ~160 characters long, so it shouldn't be running into problems with the Windows 260-character path length limit. None of the settings in the import wizard have any effect on the error.

I'm not seeing any unusual spike in resource usage on my server when I try to do this import, so I assume the "insufficient system resources" that the error is mentioning are the resources of my Windows client machine, not the SMB server. But I'm also not seeing a spike in LaunchBox's resource usage: Task Manager shows it as using ~4.5GB of RAM before, during, and after the crash, right up until the program exits (when I click OK on the error dialog). I have LaunchBox stored on its own disk with several TB of free space, and LaunchBox doesn't get to the point of downloading any media before crashing anyway, so it's not a storage space issue.

The only thing unique about this import is that it's by far the biggest ROM set that I've tried to import so far: there are a total of 436,339 ROM files to import here! I realize that's kind of a ridiculous number, and maybe it's a little unfair to expect LaunchBox to handle it without issue. Still, LaunchBox seems to be the only program that runs into issues when trying to deal with this folder, so I think it is specifically a LaunchBox issue and not just a general issue with dealing with so many files. (Again, Playnite's import feature handles importing 436,339 roms in one batch with no issue, although it takes quite a while for the import to finish.)

So, does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for how to successfully import this massive pile of ROMs into my LaunchBox library? Thanks in advance!

Edited by kcsmnt0
updating to mention that the 11.9 release didn't fix this issue

• 2 weeks later...