LaunchBox Community Forums

Adjusting LAY files for MAME arcade bezels ...

krofftsuperstar

I recently changed in the in-game look of my MAME arcade games. It's a slight modification of the crt-geom-deluxe, which gives life/warmth to the otherwise dull pixels. I thought I was through, but as most of us know ... you're never really through with any of this. I discovered the noninteger setting and it was like seeing and playing Pac-Man and Donkey Kong all over again. Now that I have a fat DK -- which is how I remember the game from 1981 -- I don't want to go back to skinny DK. The same with Pac-Man. Unfortunately, the tradeoff, at least for some of these games, including Pac-Man, is that I can't have the standard MAME bezels surrounding the game in, say, 7/8 mode. 

It's all well beyond me and I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out. Can I change the lay file in, say, the pacman artwork, so that the bezels appear when I opt for the fatter screen (whether I select the noninteger as the default setting or I select the 7/8 -- or whatever the pixel size is -- as the default)? 

Basically, I would like to keep the fat-sized arcade screens AND have the bezels run with it and I want to know how I can do it. And also, what is the best way to do this?  I realize TV sizes often matter; I have a generic 32-inch 720p, if that means anything.

My apologies if this topic has been covered before. If so, please kindly point me to that discussion.

ALSO: JUST CURIOUS IF THE FATTER SCREENS ARE INDEED MORE ACCURATE THAN THE SLIMMER VERSIONS? 

Thanks for any and all help!