LaunchBox Community Forums

A quick hack for Retroarch cores that don't have a keyboard controls option

deadfraggle

If the following method is already well documented, please delete this post. I just wanted to share a little trick I've stumbled upon.

There are a few cores in RetroArch that do not have a keyboard option in 'Port 1 Controls'.  Specifically, I'm referring to the setting in Quick Menu > Controls > Port 1 Controls, after launching a game. MAME for instance, only allows Retropad, Retropad with analog, and None. While you can customize MAME's key bindings per machine in MAME itself, this method is unhelpful when a single 'machine' (like the BBC Micro) has multiple games with different controls.  The Hatari core is another example oddly, where there is no keyboard option.

To hack in a keyboard option, simply load a remap file from another core that uses the keyboard option. (Quick Menu > Controls > Load Remap File). For example, I have several customized files saved for the Dosbox core.  After loading, the device in Port 1 Controls will be labeled as 'Unknown' but each controller key can be set to any keyboard key.  Just save your customizations before exiting and RetroArch will create a new file for the current game that retains the unknown device.

This method may have unintended consequences, though I haven't encountered any yet.  Use at your own risk.

Edited by deadfraggle