LaunchBox Community Forums

Differentiating between global RetroArch.cfg file variations

launcherbox

Hi all,

I've created a second, custom, RetroArch.cfg file called megabezel.cfg - this allows me to have a main RetroArch install with a standard shader, and then a variation that uses a global Megabezel shader....all from the one RetroArch install. I'm able to boot straight into either one using either the main RetroArch/exe file for the standard shader, and a shortcut called "RetroArch-megabezel.exe" for the megabezel content (shortcut path is D:\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe --config megabezel.cfg --menu). All works perfectly.

However, I'm now at the stage where I want to be able to use LaunchBox to switch between versions. I obviously have my default RetroArch install set up in LaunchBox, and I've added a second RetroArch instance in LaunchBox for the megabezel config. I've pointed this second instance of RetroArch in LaunchBox to the main Retroarch.exe file, and in the default command line parameters, I've echoed the windows shortcut content by putting in "--config megabezel.cfg --menu", giving me the sample command of "retroarch.exe --config megabezel.cfg --menu "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE"

^^ this all looks correct to me, and should work....but instead, any content loaded though LaunchBox using this second instance of RetroArch is NOT pulling the info from the megabzel.cfg file, and is instead, just launching vanilla retroarch. 

Is there a way I can correctly specify a custom global config file when launching retroarch under Launchbox?

1.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by launcherbox

• launcherbox changed the title to Differentiating between global RetroArch.cfg file variations
3 hours ago, launcherbox said:

Is there a way I can correctly specify a custom global config file when launching retroarch under Launchbox?

From running RetroArch in a command window with the -h switch:

-c, --config=FILE     Path for config file.
                Defaults to retroarch.cfg in same directory as retroarch.exe.
                If a default config is not found, the program will attempt to create one.
      --appendconfig=FILE
                        Extra config files are loaded in, and take priority over
                        config selected in -c (or default). Multiple configs are
                        delimited by '|'.

I myself use (for example):

retroarch.exe -L "cores\flycast_libretro.dll" -c "config\flycast_libretro.cfg"

or

706060941_Schermopname(24).thumb.jpg.aebe7b5a2bdbc2a90a9b853cc4aefa41.jpg

• Like 1

Ok interesting. Having seen your screenshot, I tried my custom command in the Associated Platform section, under Extra command Line Parameters...and it worked perfectly (--config "megabezel.cfg"). This means I'll need to add it to all of the systems I want to use this shader on, under the second instance of RetroArch. I was trying in as a global command, under Manage Emulators, Emulator, Default Command Line Parameters thinking it would apply globally to whenever the emulator was called. Thanks again :)

Edited by launcherbox

12 minutes ago, launcherbox said:

I was trying in as a global command, under Manage Emulators, Emulator, Default Command Line Parameters thinking it would apply globally to whenever the emulator was called.

Maybe it has something to do with the order in which LaunchBox sends the command-line for the core / extra command-line parameters / game path to RetroArch. But hey, if it works, it works!

3 minutes ago, Koroth said:

Maybe it has something to do with the order in which LaunchBox sends the command-line for the core / extra command-line parameters / game path to RetroArch. But hey, if it works, it works!

I thought the same, by using the default command line parameters it's pushing the config before the game....and by using extra command line parameters, it's pushing the game and then the config (I think!), which weirdly seems to make a difference. Anyway, as you say, it works....I've ctrl-v'd the command into all the platforms under my 2nd instance of RA, and it seems to be working perfectly! Thanks again :)

Edited by launcherbox