LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame doesn t work

Alessandro88

hello i bought the pro version of launchbox but i ran into some problems.  I downloaded romsets complete with mame and neogeo but despite the bios neogeo.zip they crash and do not hook retroarch.  I'm sure the romset is good because on other frontends it works and consequently also on retroarch.  On neogeo I solved it by downloading the NEO.EMU paid app but as regards mame (romset 2003 plus) I can't solve otherwise.

I'm having a little difficulty understanding your problem, so I apologize if I don't quite understand.

Note that this for is specifically for the Android version of Launchbox. Are you using Android? or a Windows PC?

Also, neogeo games are just a small subset of all games you can run in MAME. Have you tried running games that aren't neogeo based? There are literally thousands.

Lastly, have you tried using Final Burn Neo? This is another emulator core (like MAME) that runs many arcade games, including neogeo.

Edited by Alumriel
  • Like 1

Mame definitely dont work. I use retroarch 64 bit and use mame core set with it and the games will not load when running through launchbox. When I just use retroarch I have 0 issues on my nvidia shield. I love launchbox just wish the crashing bug would get ironed out and the mame issues sorted. I would be one happy camper

Mook

Well, MAME can work perfectly fine with both Retroarch and Launchbox on Android. I'm using it myself. I switch between MAME and Final Burn Neo depending on the game.
The critical part for arcade games is that the rom set needs to match the version of MAME you're using. Meaning, if you're using MAME 2003, you need a rom set specifically for MAME 2003 (which is based on the 0.78 build).

My setup in Launchbox:
Default Emulator - RetroArch (64-bit sideloaded)
Default Core - mamearcade_libretro_android.so (or fbneo_libretro_android.so depending on the game)

Note - The MAME choice maps to the "Arcade (MAME - Current)" core in Retroarch, which I use because I have a relatively powerful CPU (Snapdragon 845) - older chips should maybe use older MAME cores, or else the experience might be choppy
The "MAME - Current" core is based on fairly recent build of MAME (maybe 0.239), so I'm using roms from that set, not an older set.

Edited by Alumriel
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1