LaunchBox Community Forums

when i try to load a mame game the screen flickers black and the game does not open

Wario471

7 minutes ago, Wario471 said:

Hello imported my full mame rom set into lanchbox and a lot of the games work fine and i can play them but some don't work at all they just cause my screen to flicker black for a second and then not load the game.

Are you using the correct emulator version for your romset version?

I'm not sure because I don't know how to check what version I'm using i wont give a direct link but where i got my set from says that its Final Burn Alpha v0.2.97.43 not sure if you can tell what set of roms this is also thanks for the fast reply

5 minutes ago, Wario471 said:

I'm not sure because I don't know how to check what version I'm using i wont give a direct link but where i got my set from says that its Final Burn Alpha v0.2.97.43 not sure if you can tell what set of roms this is also thanks for the fast reply

OK, well a Final Burn romset is not a MAME romset, the clue is in the name, so you are using the wrong romset if you are trying to use a MAME emulator. I should also add that FB  is not a "Full Romset" it is a subset of MAME roms designed to work on very low power devices, there are a ton of great games in a MAME romset that are missing in that romset. If you want to keep that romset then you need to use Final Burn Neo as the emulator to make sure that games work, and preferably a version of the emulator that is the exact same version as what the romset is, and you would need to delete that platform and import again using the standard rom importer. Also as another wrinkle did you use Launchbox's Mame fullset importer? cause that will cause issues too, its obviously designed for MAME and not FB, and it doesnt scan your rom folder at all, it gets the working game list from the emulator itself and adds those games, so if you used that you will have a ton of games "imported" that are not even in your romset (NARC may be one of those but i dont know, i would assume it is in a FB romset but i cant say for 100% off hand).

7 minutes ago, Wario471 said:

yes i used the launchbox mame set importer and buy delete platform do you mean delete the platform the fb rom set goes to or launchbox as a whole

In Launchbox right click the platform in the left bar and delete it, if it asks to delete media you can keep that to save yourself a bit of time later. Then just run the standard rom importer and point it at a FBneo emulator and not a MAME one if you want to continue to use  that romset. Personally id just go and download the current MAME romset and use our fullset importer which is far easier, but entirely up to you.

Edited by neil9000

2 minutes ago, Wario471 said:

so now do should i just delete the current arcade category i have with the fb roms on it on my launchbox

I would, then when you have the romset downloaded, which will likely take several hours run the mame fullset importer, point it at that rom folder and let it download and configure mame for you.