LaunchBox Community Forums

Stuttering in Big box, happens without videos and everything turned to lowest setting

-McFly-

Video - 

This wasn't an issue before my setup reached 250k- 300k games. After that it slowly but surely became what it is today, a 70-second-or-so-stuttering-fool. I've tried pretty much everything, from using other hardware, changing to a newer video card, changing swap memory size, placing videos and images on an SSD and an NVME drive, moving to smaller drives, moving to larger drives, moving to a RAID setup, creating a brand new build with Windows 10 instead of 11, the list goes on.

My Specs:

AMD FX-8320E 8 Core Processor @ 3.2 GHz
32 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 GPU
Windows 11 (Can dual boot with Win 10 also, same specs, same results)
12 Hard Drives, 7 of which are external USB 3.0 (mixture of HDD, SSD, NVME) *No RAID currently
525 Platforms
525 Playlists
Over 640k titles
Around 30TB LB/BB all-in data
Water cooled CPU

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be eternally grateful as this has plagued my build for years... and after all this time I'd love to say this is as I intended it to be.

* Things I'm completely aware of *
1. BB/LB likely wasn't built for a collection of this size.
2. I should have stopped collecting around 400,000 titles ago.
3. Whining that my collection is so big the program can't do what I want it to is definitely a 1st world problem and I should be thankful I have a roof over my head and food on my table.
4. I want it ALL, and I want it NOW (Queen, 1989) isn't sexy. My wife told me that. And she wasn't talking about Freddie.
5. Thinking I know the answer to this doesn't make it so, regardless of how much I pout and complain (I do have a hypothesis, I'm hoping someone can either confirm or deny my suspicions.)

I'm not sure if the video completely shows my frustration. During this demonstration I was consistently clicking the up and down arrows on my keyboard about 6-9 times per second during 75% of the time.

HELP.

• 2 weeks later...

Just some suggestions here, easy to do stuff and won't break your build and may do good given the enourmous size of your build. (Great job by the way on that.)  1. Try the "Clean up media" tool in regular Launchbox, that will remove duplicates, make sure to leave "music" box unchecked if you added your own music to the setup.  2. In BigBox settings, Force Populate your Images and Coverflow.  3) probably the only envasive suggestion but what is your ram size?  for a build that size I'm not sure on a good ram size requirement.  but 16gb or higher should be a good base.   4) reduce image quality in big box.  Should be a setting in your Big Box under General section somewhere, would say like something like "medium,fast, low ect..." (sorry i have builds from 3 different front ends so trying to remember how everything is labeled in those setting gets confusing)  But for me Those are usually the fixes use to fix those stuttering lagging problems.    Also check your cooling, if your systems runs hot the performance will throttle down.  Hope those suggestions help.  Good luck

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:24 PM, tkssitch said:

Just some suggestions here, easy to do stuff and won't break your build and may do good given the enourmous size of your build. (Great job by the way on that.)  1. Try the "Clean up media" tool in regular Launchbox, that will remove duplicates, make sure to leave "music" box unchecked if you added your own music to the setup.  2. In BigBox settings, Force Populate your Images and Coverflow.  3) probably the only envasive suggestion but what is your ram size?  for a build that size I'm not sure on a good ram size requirement.  but 16gb or higher should be a good base.   4) reduce image quality in big box.  Should be a setting in your Big Box under General section somewhere, would say like something like "medium,fast, low ect..." (sorry i have builds from 3 different front ends so trying to remember how everything is labeled in those setting gets confusing)  But for me Those are usually the fixes use to fix those stuttering lagging problems.    Also check your cooling, if your systems runs hot the performance will throttle down.  Hope those suggestions help.  Good luck

Ignore the 3rd suggestion, I just notice your ram size 

• Thanks 1