LaunchBox Community Forums

Donwloaded manuals not showing and Adobe Acrobat breaks after using LaunchBox

Commoduro

Hi. I have downloaded some game manuals for Launchbox in pdf files, but when I try to open them (selecting the game and then: Media>Show Manual) nothing happens.

But the strangest thing is that after this, Adobe Acrobat does not work anymore. I try to open any pdf file with it and it does nothing. In fact I have to restart the computer to make Adobe Acrobat work again.

Any help, please?

Thanks a lot.

6 hours ago, Commoduro said:

Hi. I have downloaded some game manuals for Launchbox in pdf files, but when I try to open them (selecting the game and then: Media>Show Manual) nothing happens.

But the strangest thing is that after this, Adobe Acrobat does not work anymore. I try to open any pdf file with it and it does nothing. In fact I have to restart the computer to make Adobe Acrobat work again.

Any help, please?

Thanks a lot.

after you try opening the manual through LB and discover you can no longer open other PDF files outside of LB, please take a look through Task Manager. If you see Adobe Acrobat then end that process and then try opening a PDF outside of LB. my guess is the program/process is stuck in the background and doesn't want to do anything until it's closed and opened again. I know that doesn't solve the root problem, but it could save you from doing the restarts.

18 hours ago, Commoduro said:

Any idea about why Launch Box is not able to open pdf files? Thanks again.

well, LaunchBox does open PDF files. it's actually the main purpose of the manual viewing feature from what I can tell. PDFs on my system open up to Microsoft Edge by default, rather than any Adobe kind of program. I don't notice any issue viewing PDFs as manuals in LB or BB, or in Windows after viewing PDFs from within LB or BB. 

You could try making Edge your default program to open PDFs and see if that makes a difference? Just as easy as it is to change to Edge, you can change it back to Adobe with the same step if it doesn't work out.

Right click on a PDF file > Open with > Choose another app

Make sure to select "always use this app to open PDF files"

You might have to click "more apps" and scroll to bottom and search for the Edge program if it's not in the list. Use the "Look for another app on this PC" link for that if needed

If that doesn't help fix your problems, and you want to change back to Adobe, repeat the same steps but select Adobe instead of Edge