LaunchBox Community Forums

Ubisoft Connect import wizard can't find games

Ensnared

I've just installed LaunchBox for the first time in many years, and I've gone through all the relevant import wizards and almost all of them works nicely (Steam, GOG, EA and Epic). One that doesn't however, is Ubisoft Connect. It goes through the same steps as all the other wizards, but instead of asking me for any information about my Ubisoft account or launcher or anything like that, it just says it couldn't find any new games to import. I have Ubisoft Connect installed and updated, and I have three games installed there that  are not already imported through other channels as they're all bought and installed through Ubisoft Connect.

It seems as if it's skipping a step between "Would you like to specify any custom options?" and "No Additional Games Were Found". There is a split second of a step between those, but it passes too quickly for me to be able to see what it says. By going back and forth several times between those two steps I've managed to see that the title of the "skipped" step says something with "Ubisoft Connect", but I'm unable to see any more of the text.

How can I remedy this?

I managed to solve it, so I'm posting here in case someone else has the same issue.

I decided to try another game launcher (Playnite), and that had the same problem when trying to import games from Ubisoft Connect. The difference was, Playnite told me there was a problem, and also what the problem was: It couldn't detect Ubisoft Connect on my computer. It said I had to start it atleast once to initialize it - which is pretty much the same that the LaunchBox wizard says at the first screen - but since I've started it many times, and it was even currently running, that wasn't actually the issue.

I assumed that the problem was caused by the fact that I never reinstalled Ubisoft Connect after the last time I reinstalled Windows. Most applications that require an installation, will actually allow you to reinstall even if the files are already there, but not Ubisoft Connect. Trying to run the installer only says it's already installed and then exits, which doesn't fix whatever is missing in the Windows registry. Most other applications - especially those that don't require a reinstall to actually work - will fix things like this automatically when you run them the first time after reinstalling Windows, but Ubisoft Connect doesn't. It will not "self-register" when you run it, and it will not let you reinstall if you don't first delete the previously installed files manually. I do remember Uplay having the exact same problems, so apparently Ubisoft Connect is actually nothing else than a reskinned Uplay.

Anyway, the solution was to manually delete my currently installed Ubisoft Connect (I deleted everything in the folder I had installed it to, except the "games" subfolder where the installed games are located), and then downloaded and ran the Ubisoft Connect installer again to reinstall it. Once that was done, both LaunchBox (and Playnite) was able to detect and import my games.