LaunchBox Community Forums

Handheld Lite - designed with handheld gaming in mind

CLE

Handheld Lite was specifically built with two purposes in mind. Simple use and a more logical viewing experience for a handheld. It comes in a package choice of 16x9 and 16x10 resolutions. (If you have an 8.4" display screen you want the 16x10 package). Don't let the name dissuade you if you are a desktop user, the 16x9 package is perfectly suitable for that as well! 
Handheld Lite intentionally excludes all the "historical data" bells and whistles. The pictures provided show exactly what you get. 

Installation Instructions:
Download, unzip to ..\LaunchBox\Themes\. 
Open Bigbox, go to system menu, manage themes, install. Select Handheld Lite and choose “apply as main theme”
The only two settings you might need to change are the platform and games view wheels if you don't like the defaults. It was intentionally designed to be simple and require much less tinkering. A WYSIWYG (pronounced wiz-e-wig). 
(W.hat Y.ou S.ee I.s W.hat Y.ou G.et). 

Graphical system menu option included. To use it browse to ..\handheld lite\sysmenu folder. Copy “systemview.xaml” to "..LaunchBox\Themes\Handheld Lite\Views" folder and choose to overwrite. Once this procedure is done, it's highly recommended you either restart BigBox or "install theme" again otherwise cached info will likely still show the old menu. 

Requirements:
Handheld Lite utilizes videos, fan art and clear logos. If you want clear logos showing only, then exclude downloading fanart. A clear logo platform set is included with the theme. If you prefer your own clear logo images simply delete the "..\LaunchBox\Themes\Handheld Lite\Images\Platforms\clear logo". Don't forget to clear your image cache afterwards.
Video and fan art can be sourced from EmuMovies. If you find a clear logo is missing, it's either not physically there or most likely the file name itself doesn't match your platforms naming convention. Browse to "..\LaunchBox\Themes\Handheld Lite\Images\Platforms\clear logo". Rename the platform named file to match your naming convention, and then open Big Box, open options menu, images cache, select refresh all images.    

Bugs/annoyances: (Please report if you find something else)
Horizontal wheels - having the "Use platform clear logo backgrounds" setting enabled found under options/images causes BB to reuse the clear logo and stretches and distorts it instead of using the fanart being specified from the theme itself. By default it's disabled, do not re-enable it.
The clear logo frame - since there isn't exactly a "size" standard, periodically you'll come across a clear logos that doesn't fit perfectly into the framed area. It is what it is unless there's a plug-in for Community Theme Creator I'm unaware of.

This is my first and VERY likely my last theme. It was a ton of fun learning and seeing an idea come to fruition. I really wanted a balanced retro meets modern type look with super minor details to provide an additional level of depth generally not seen. Vertical Wheels 3 and 4 are intentionally made to be a little odd. Just something to break up the monotony seen across all themes. If I ever expand on the theme I'll post the XAML files here. 

Thanks to @y2guru for providing such an incredibly excellent tool for theme making. 

TextFiltersView.png

TextGamesView.png

Wheel2GamesView.png

Wheel3Gamesview.png

wheel4gamesview.png

WheelGamesView.png

HorizontalWheel1GamesView.png

PlatformWheel1FiltersView.png

PlatformWheel2Filters.png

PlatformWheel4FiltersView.png

PlatformWheelFilters.png

Systemviwtextlist.png