LaunchBox Community Forums

Missing Core Files

Bigb_ch

Hi everyone

I've read several topics for this issue, but none could help to solve my problem

I've installed several cores in RetroArch and also added them in LaunchBox. But it's still showing "Missing Core File" for most systems and the emulator won't load in BigBox. But when I start RetroArch separately, it works perfectly. Any ideal how this can be fixed?

Unbenannt.PNG

4 hours ago, Bigb_ch said:

Anyone knows what to do?

do you have more than one Retroarch installation? your Retroarch image shows for example you have downloaded nestopia_libreto but shows LB doesn't see it. also, your Retroarch image shows you did not download the Gamecube (Dolphin) core, yet LB shows it as installed (note there is no missing core file text in the field).

makes me think you have multiple instances of Retroarch on your system. you should make sure everything is being directed to the proper instance and said instance has all the right cores installed and settings setup.

18 hours ago, skizzosjt said:

do you have more than one Retroarch installation? your Retroarch image shows for example you have downloaded nestopia_libreto but shows LB doesn't see it. also, your Retroarch image shows you did not download the Gamecube (Dolphin) core, yet LB shows it as installed (note there is no missing core file text in the field).

makes me think you have multiple instances of Retroarch on your system. you should make sure everything is being directed to the proper instance and said instance has all the right cores installed and settings setup.

Thanks for your answer. I've just checked and searched the whole disk, there is only this one RetroArch installation. As test, I removed all files in the core folder and LB couldn't find any core, showed the missing core message for every system. After putting them back, I had the same situation as in the picture above. 

Edited by Bigb_ch

go to a game that is using Retroarch

right click on it and use the option to open Retroarch ("Open Retroarch...")

now with this instance of Retroarch open, go to your core list

post same pics from there. need to see EXACT same cores between what is being shown in Retroarch core menu and your Associated Platforms tab. ie if you have core A, B, and C in the Associated Platform tab, then we need to see what Retroarch says about core A, B, and C. make sure to have the Associated Platform image include the column about whether or not the core is missing

my initial suggestion was correct, you have more than one installation. the initial post shows your Retroarch as version 1.9.0 and this one is version 1.9.7. both of those are several years old - as old as 2020. you should consider if you want to iron out the confusion you made of multiple installations or if you should get rid of these old versions and install the newest version of Retroarch.

the install instance that you linked with LaunchBox shows cores downloaded already....I wanted the same menu as you had in first post which is the Core download menu. but never the less, that all lines up as expected. cores in THIS instance of Retroarch align with your LaunchBox Associated Platform window. No surprises there. you can download the cores you need, but you still need to fix up you confusion between having multiple installs

edit:  If you need to figure out where that one is installed look at the application path in the Edit Emulator window.

image.thumb.png.9a6aad29071d5c1df1ead625530bf59a.png

Edited by skizzosjt
find installation
  • Thanks 1

Oh, wow, you were absolutely right. I finally found the remains of the earlier, local installation. I deletet this and also installed the current version in my LB folder. It works fine now.

Thanks a lot for your help, skizzosjt!