LaunchBox Community Forums

Platform Boot Videos Theme 1.0.0

(1 review)

1 Screenshot

About This File

Inspiration:

When I found out you could play custom platform boot videos in launchbox, my first thought was to make these the console boot videos. However, I ran into some problems that this theme tries to solve. It might not be done in the best way, but it's working really well for me, so I thought I would share.

The first problem is that my videos would loop unless I set an emulator specific timeout for the video. This doesn't work well though as the video often partially loops anyway. If there was a way to stop this, I couldn't figure it out.

The second problem is that I use retroarch, and as far as I can tell, there was no way to override the timeout parameter on a platform level (not an emulator level). I could do this on the game level, but that's not ideal as I'd have to keep updating games when I'd add them. There were various other oddities that made cutting off this loop quite impractical.

My solution was to create minute long videos where the majority of the video is black. This has solved my looping problem.

About the theme:

This theme will play the boot videos of these platforms (all others will play a default black video):

Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP

Nintendo: NES (video from the Famicom), SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, Switch, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS

Microsoft: Xbox, Xbox 360

If you'd like to add your own, put them in the videos folder with the console name. You'll likely have to do as I did and extend the video though.

The majority of the videos play in 1080p at 60fps. Some are lower fps (NES, SNES, N64, Switch, PSP). The SNES video is also 720p, but it's the highest quality version I've found.

The goal was not to favor accuracy over graphics, so most of the lower definition boots were created from scratch so they'd look good at a higher definition (by various people on youtube, not me). In the case where a console didn't have a boot (the boot basically went straight to a menu or game), I improvised to make one that I think will be satisfying to most people.

The audio has been roughly equalized so no console boot should be too loud or too quiet.

Contributing:

If anyone would like a system added, but they don't have access to a sufficient video editing program, they can send any clips they find my way. I'd prefer any old boots to be high quality remakes to keep with the theme. Other than that, try to stick to 1080p (preferably 60fps). Most of these remakes don't exist in 4K, but I might make a 4K version of them using waifu2x to attempt an upscale once I update my system with a 4K screen.

What's New in Version 1.0.0   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

• Like 10
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

TrexCharles

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

This has made my gaming console PC that much better. You inspire me lol, I have some more game startup videos for the systems that you didn't get. How do I upload them to you so I can share what I have?

Link to review