LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega System 18 & 24 | MAME Controller Exclusive Button Layout Images & Pre Mapped Config Files | NVRAM Fixes & Enhancements, Free Play, Unlocks etc 1.0.0

(0 reviews)

20 Screenshots

About This File

Moving forward I have decided if a game has a clone/variant that has a different name due to region, I will configure for it and provide an image for it independently.

Also, I have made the decision to drop DINPUT. This is for multiple reasons. Firstly, I personally only use XINPUT. Secondly, I only provide images of an XBOX controller. Thirdly, not all DINPUT controllers have the same Input ID's/Button layouts. I was making the DINPUT configs with a PS4 controller. Fourthly, it takes too much time to get these out configuring for both. The majority of users are using an XINPUT controller.

If you were using a PlayStation controller there is an app called DS4 Windows which makes Windows think your PlayStation controller is an XINPUT device.

In a nutshell, I'm tooth picking my way through MAME platform by platform, and pre configuring the controls for all arcade games that are designated as working.

You know the pain of weird awkward auto control mapping and fumbling around trying to figure what is going on. I have done that for you!
These remaps have been done exclusively for controllers. No keyboard inputs at all and all non essential inputs completely removed. Only what is necessary has been mapped.
Also, I have provided button layout images so you know exactly what the buttons are for every game!

I haven't just set whatever, every control has been tested, scrutinised and re-tested before actually making a definitive decision. I believe I have everything mapped to be as intuitive as possible.
Menu control in arcade games can be unintuitive when using a controller. These remaps have been made to make menu-ing intuitive and easy.
NOTE: If the left stick doesn't work in menus, the D-Pad will.

The per game .cfg remap files are idiot proof. Every input is accounted for and set, so your main .cfg wont auto assign any inputs.

NVRAM files are also here. A lot of games need fixes or calibration in the service/test/dip switch menus before they'll work. There's also a bunch of unlockable content, preferable settings and a whole world of strange and wonderful crap in these menus. This will also be covered in this project. Only Laser Ghosts needed an nvram file provided as it's needed for the game to work.

Everything has been done on a 1G1R basis with parents taking priority.
However, as stated above this was for some games, a bit objectional for this platform. Multiple versions have been configured for choice for these titles.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Download Remap files and place these in the cfg folder of MAME.
Download NVRAM files and place in NVRAM folder of MAME.
Download Button Layout Images so you know what the controls are.
PLAY!!!

Below is a table of everything that has been done game by game. I have noted everything of importance for the end user experience.
Developer intended cheats are also listed below.

Sega System 18

Alien Storm
astorm
astorm3
Rom Variation Info:
-This game is one of 'those' that has a 2 player variant that allows for character selection, and a 3-4 player variant that fixes the character to the control/coin slot position.
-For all games that do this using both versions is the best option. As you want the convenience of selecting a character for 1 - 2 players, but still want to be able to play 3-4 players.
-The parent 'astorm' is 2 player. The clone 'astorm3' is 3 players.

Controls:
-Everything was straight forward. A few inputs moved for better control.

Dip Switches:
-Difficulty changeable. Using 'normal' defaults.
-Free Play set
Bloxeed
bloxeed
Controls:

Dip Switches:
-Difficulty, Time & High Speed Mode changeable. Using 'normal' defaults.
-Free Play set
Clutch Hitter
cltchitr
Controls:
-A baseball game with fairly complicated controls. Had to get a photo of the original control panel to figure everything out.

Dip Switches:
-Difficulty & Time changeable. Using 'normal' defaults.
-Free Play set
D.D. Crew
ddcrew
ddcrew1
Rom Differences Info:
-This game is one of 'those' that has a 3 player variant that allows for character selection, and a 4 player variant that fixes the character to the control/coin slot position.
-For all games that do this, using both versions is the best option. You want the convenience of selecting a character for 1 - 3 players, but still want to be able to play 4 players.
-The parent 'ddcrew' is 3 player. The clone 'ddcrew1' is 4 players.

Controls:

Dip Switches:
-Free Play set
Desert Breaker
desertbr
Controls:

Dip Switches:
Cab Type set to 3 Players. 2 is the default.
-Free Play set
Hammer Away
hamaway
Controls:
-Shooting air and ground targets is on individual buttons.

Dip Switches:
-Difficulty & Lives changeable. Using 'normal' defaults.
-Free Play set
Laser Ghost
lghost
Important Info:
-This game forces configuration on first boot before you can play the game. All 3 players calibrated.
-3 Player Light Gun Game
-Gun Offset needs to be ON in 'Machine Configuration'.

Controls:
-Setup for use with 3 controllers or 3 mice or any combination or both.

Dip Switches:
-Free Play set
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
mwalk
Controls:

Dip Switches:
-Cab Type set to 3 Players. 2 is the default.
-Free Play set
Pontoon Not Working. Even if it was it's just a no thrills pontoon card game. I personally don't mess with these are there are a ton of em and well boring.
Shadow Dancer
shdancer
Controls:

Dip Switches:
-Difficulty, Lives & Time changeable. Using 'normal' defaults.
-Free Play set
Wally no Sagase!
wwallyj
wallyja3p
Rom Differences Info:
-There is a 3 player version 'wallyja3p' which has been configured in addition to the 2 player parent 'wwallyj'

Controls:
-You can play this game with a controller, mouse and/or a light gun. Shoot Wally in the face to find him. It works better playing it this way so both mouse and controllers have been configured.

Dip Switches:
-Free Play set

Sega System 24

Bonanza Bros
bnzabros
Controls:

Dip Switches:
-Free Play set.
Crack Down
crkdown
Controls:

Dip Switches:
-Nothing worth noting.
-Free Play set.
Dynamic Country Club
dcclub
2 Players Info:
-This game had one set of controls. 2 Players would have taken it in turns on the same control panel, you gotta do the same.
-Start 2 Players is on RB. Using the Start button will start for 1 Player only.

Controls:
-Turn left & right is on the right stick and D-Pad.
-Swing club is on RT. Hold and let go when you have the ball position you want. It is an analog input so if you don't want full power, only pull the trigger a little bit.

Dip Switches:
-Difficulty, Time and Max Balls changeable. Using 'normal' defaults.
-Free Play set.
Gain Ground
gground
Controls:

Dip Switches:
-Free Play set.
Hot Rod
hotrod
hotrodj
Rom Differences Info:
-There is a 3 & 4 player version of this game.
-The 3 player version 'hotrod' is also the 'Turbo' version. Your car goes significantly faster.
-The 4 player version 'hotrodj' is the 'normal' version despite not being the parent. Your car goes at normal speed, and you get 4 players.
-Using both is preferable as they differ. If I had to choose it would be 'hotrodj'.

Controls:
-Steering is on both the right stick and D-Pad. Using the D-Pad for these types of games can be preferable. So, both are usable.

Dip Switches:
-Language set to English for 'hotroj' version.
-Free Play set
Quiz Ghost Hunter JAPANESE QUIZ GAME. NOT USING OR CONFIGURING
Quiz Mekurumeku Story JAPANESE QUIZ GAME. NOT USING OR CONFIGURING
Quiz Rouka Ni Tattenasai JAPANESE QUIZ GAME. NOT USING OR CONFIGURING
Quiz Syukudai wo Wasuremashita JAPANESE QUIZ GAME. NOT USING OR CONFIGURING
Rough Racer
roughrac
Controls:
-Steering is on both the right stick and D-Pad. Using the D-Pad for these types of games can be preferable. So, both are usable.
-Accelerate is a digital input with this game. It's been mapped to RT as well as X.

Dip Switches:
-Starting Cash set to 20000. Default is 15000.
-Free Play set.
Scramble Spirits
sspirits
Controls:

Dip Switches:
-Free Play set.
Super Masters Golf
sgmast
Controls:
-Turn left & right is on the right stick and D-Pad.
-Swing club is on RT. Hold then let go when you have the ball position you want. It is an analog input so if you don't want full power, only pull the trigger a little bit.

Dip Switches:
-Free Play set.
Tokoro San no MahMahjan JAPANESE MAHJONG GAME WITH A MILLION INPUTS. NOT USING OR CONFIGURING.
Tokoro San no MahMahjan 2 JAPANESE MAHJONG GAME WITH A MILLION INPUTS. NOT USING OR CONFIGURING.

Edited by Warped Polygon
hit ctrl+enter by accident

What's New in Version 1.0.0   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

There are no reviews to display.