LaunchBox Community Forums

Instruction Manual Downloader?

Kriven

Sigord said I wanted to post below in http://emulation.gametechwiki....../Main_Page But I find the way anyone is allowed to continually alter the info, makes posting rather hopeless. If anyone wants to publicise below they are welcome. I have over 150 old DOS only Games as shown at http://www.sigord.co.uk/TEMP/DOSgames.txt many of which I might be willing to gradually upload to my site for all to download for free as ZIP files. So far as I can remember they are all Shareware. As you cans see from http://www.sigord.co.uk I tinker with creating my own software and web pages, so just as with my daily pages it will be quite a simple matter to continually update a page of Free DOS games, if anyone asks for a few games to be added to the list of downloads. I will start the page as soon as anyone drops me a line which Games to include in the web page.
That is extremely generous of you, but I do want to point out one thing so that Jason and the LaunchBox forums are covered legally. Since we are a website based in the United States, United States law presides over the website. As long as the games are all Shareware and were otherwise obtained freely legally, you're more than welcome to post the links, especially if you upload them. But please be careful and make sure they are Shareware only. Even if they are whats considered "abandonware" it is a grey area. Even if the games are obtained legally, if they are the full non-shareware versions redistributing them is technically illegal. Again, I really do appreciate the generosity, I just want to make sure the site is covered.

Thanks Brad. As a start would you care to suggest say around 12 of any of the games listed, I will then upload the page with links to the ZIP files. If you can then drop me a line to the Yahoo address shown on my home page, I will send only you a link to the menu page to check if there are any copyright problems. I will then get an idea of what to look for among other games. Gordon

Sigord said Thanks Brad. As a start would you care to suggest say around 12 of any of the games listed, I will then upload the page with links to the ZIP files. If you can then drop me a line to the Yahoo address shown on my home page, I will send only you a link to the menu page to check if there are any copyright problems. I will then get an idea of what to look for among other games. Gordon
I have a ton of DOS games, I am honestly not all that interested, but as long as they're labeled shareware they should be fine. Shareware unless stated originally, should be ok to share. It is the paid product that is the problem. Even if you post something that turns out to be illegal, the process isn't "Your website is going bye bye". The Process is a DMCA take down. Which we would then just remove the link. So to the best of your knowledge, if they're shareware, go ahead and post them. That was the intention of Shareware in the past, to share them. Also, even If I were to go through the entire list, there is a small chance that I will find any proper information about it. A lot of that information about Shareware DOS games have been lost in the ether. Relegated to old, dead and deleted BBS sites. It would only be a problem if the original author, developer or publisher were to not want it redistributed. Which now days most don't exist or care. Like Elder Scrolls 1 and 2 you can download for free from Bethesda's website. In this case, posting that version of the game which they've deemed freeware is alright. Shareware falls under a similar category by nature. The misnomer is Abandonware. Just because it looks out of date or dead doesn't mean someone doesn't still own the rights to it, which means its still illegal to repost the copyrighted material unless the rights owner says otherwise. Like Bethesda and other free DOS games you get when you sign up to GOG.