LaunchBox Community Forums

Mouse and Multi-controller issues

badbob001

I read that the ability to disable the mouse cursor is in the works. How is that going? It seems a bit silly that the dpad/keyboard can select one game and the mouse/stick can select another game at the exact same time. Is there code to prevent multiple games from being launched? I think big box mode disables the mouse, but I don't like how that mode looks. I actually like seeing a wall of game boxes instead of a text list. Multi-controller support needs some work. It's not possible to specify a primary controller since all my controllers are the same (xbox one) and they all end up with the same name on the list. So I enable multi-controller support, but then now you have four people playing around with their controller and it's very easy for the wrong game or even multiple games to be launched. How about we take a cue from the wii interface and show separate cursors for each controllers? To launch a game, everyone has to select the same game. It will be like voting. If multiple games are selected, nothing will get launched. In case of an unused controller or someone that doesn't want to vote, the single selected game icon will show a timer to when it will launch. If everyone votes, there is no timer and the game launches right away.

Hi @badbob001, welcome. The rudimentary multi-controller support was actually never intended to be used by multiple people at the same time...you're the first one to even bring that up. That's a good thought though, I'll add that to my to-do list. Keep in mind that many more modes/screen configuration options are planned for Big Box. The initial version will be simple as it is now, but we'll keep adding more options (including box art lists and such) over time.

Jason Carr said Hi @badbob001, welcome. The rudimentary multi-controller support was actually never intended to be used by multiple people at the same time...you're the first one to even bring that up. That's a good thought though, I'll add that to my to-do list.
That is surprising no one has brought it up. Either most people don't use their launchbox pc with kids (or just play solo), or they have very well behaved kids. Laugh I now have my own kids well trained but none of that matters when their untrained friends come over. Please add:
  • The option to restrict a particular control from being able to select and launch games. For example, if mouse was 'restricted', you can still use it to select menu items but it will not select games.
    or
  • Disable mouse/stick and keyboard/dpad from having separate cursors. So the single cursor will go to whichever control moved last. And perhaps briefly disallow any more inputs after the launch button is pressed to prevent multiple launches of the same or different game.
Please give the multi-controller code a look when you have a chance. Often when launcherbox gets an error after returning from a game, it's probably due to the multi-controller setting. And this is a strange forum interface since the html markup is right in your face and there doesn't seem to be a way to hide it. It would be confusing for those who don't know html and annoying for those who do.