LaunchBox Community Forums

Dolphin Savestates with controller

Bedwyr

I've been poking around the Dolphin hotkey screen and documentation for a little bit today. I see that Dolphin uses a direct key input based save state system (press F1 for slot 1, F2 for slot 2, etc). Retroarch uses a convenient increment-decrement input method where you can cycle through save states. This is very easy to map to a controller. In most cases I can simply hold down the right stick to shift input and then press any button on the D-pad. So for most emulators I set it up so that R-stick + down is "save", R-stick + up is "load", R-stick + right is "increment save slot", and R-stick + left is "decrement save slot. Super convenient, super easy. I'm trying to brainstorm a way to do similar mapping for Dolphin, but the direct key method makes it difficult. Any thoughts? I use Controller Companion for keyboard mapping, btw. At first glance, it looks like there's no way to do that as the emulator or controller companion would have to maintain some knowledge of current slot state and send key inputs accordingly (like get_current_slot variable so I can increment or decrement and also to save and load current slot).