LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing Infocom games...

darthv8dr

Hi everyone, I am a noob to Launchbox, though I've used other front ends before. I am having the hardest time finding any info pertaining to importing Interactive Fiction. I use Frotz most of the time, but will consider another program if it will help get my collection of Infocom IF titles into Launchbox. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks

What do you need help with? You really didn't elaborate what you're having trouble with? If you are having a hard time adding stuff to LaunchBox, know that you can add anything as an emulator and anything as a rom. There is no set specific rules. You can add anything you want to LaunchBox.

My apologies, I will elaborate here. When I go into Launchbox/Tools/ it appears that I should add an emulator, such as Windows Frontz, but when adding an emulator I haven't found what info should be put in for Associated Platforms. I assume that it would be something related to Z-machine, Frotz or Gargoyle. I get that you can add whatever you want, but I don't quite understand how. To go even further, I have a file named leather_goddesses_of_phobos.z5 Unless I tell Launchbox what program to use, it wouldn't know what to do. So my .z5 file has to be associated to some application. How does this work? If there is a specific thread in the forums you could point that helps explain this, I'd love to know.

We do have the Tutorials that may help you out, you can get there by clicking the link in my signature. Otherwise the Associated Platforms list has two functions. It tells LaunchBox that this emulator (or program) launches files for this system and when the Default Emulator box is checked when you import the rom's or games it knows what emulator to assign it. The other function is Command Line parameters. Sometimes systems, for example like RetroArch, need specific commands for it to work. So RetroArch is set up as the emulator, and since it emulates several dozen systems, you put the System name in the Associated Platforms list and then the command to load the specific core for that system. In this case, you add your program (is it an emulator) to the list. Then under associated platforms just double click the left most box and type in the system name. Check the default box if you want, this only matters for when you are importing the games. If you need to mess around with multiple emulators and the games are already imported you use the bulk edit function. The default command line parameters box can be left alone unless you need to have it use commands for it to work, I have no clue I've never used this program / emulator before. Once that is set up you import all your games. So Tools -> Rom Importing. If they're all single file games (there isn't multiple files per game) then just use the Add Folder option. Otherwise, if they are multiple file extensions or there are other files you don't want to add, use the add files option. Navigate to the folder holding all of the roms (if they are in sub folders it's fine) then use the Windows Search function in the top right to search for the file extension. So in this case "*.z5", let if search, click a game to highlight it then Ctrl + A to highlight them all then click add. Then go through the process like everything else. There probably wont be any metadata as I don't even think we have this system. LaunchBox just uses basic command line to tell the emulator / program that this is the file you need to run and runs it. If you have more questions feel free to ask.