LaunchBox Community Forums

How To: Doom and other WAD Source Ports

AutumnSounds

Hello! I'm back digging through my collection again. This week I've dusted off my old iD Anthology box set.<3 DSC_0160.JPG There are a couple of options to play Doom with LaunchBox with the iD Anthology discs; a. Original version via DosBox b. Official Doom95 windows version c. An unofficial source port such as DoomsDay, zDoom or Boom etc. I've decided on option 'c' as this lets me 'tinker' with mods, and in this example I'm using zDoom. - First I've created a zDoom folder in LanchBox's games directory and placed the relevant files in there. - In the zDoom folder I've created a 'WAD' directory which is where I'm keeping the original WAD game files required. - After launching zDoom once it should create an .ini file which we need to edit. zDoom03.PNG - We've added the 'Path=../wad/' to the 'IWADSearch.Directories' and 'FileSearch.Directories' - Once done, in Launchbox we can create and edit our game: zDoom01.PNG - The Application Path is pointing to zDoom and the Command-Line Parameters are telling zDoom which 'iWAD' to use. - The pk3 file also being referenced is a high-res texture pack for the game. So for additional mods we can just add more to the -file string. -This setup will, of course, work for other WAD-based games zDoom02.PNG Hope that helps!
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...