LaunchBox Community Forums

Japanese PSX games not loading in RetroArch

djmaglioli

Hi again, started dabbling with PSX emulation. I've gotten NTSC-U games working fine, however no matter what I try I can't get any (J) games working. I have the correct bios for NTSC-J SCPH5500 in the system folder of the RetroArch folder. I have the file paths pointing at the .cue image, and the .cue images are named appropriately both within the file itself and the file name. I've tried other bios versions: 1000, 3000, 5000 etc.. But nothing has worked. When I go to load the game in LaunchBox nothing happens, no error messages or anything. Thanks in advance for any help.

Strange, I just loaded a Japanese game successfully. Try again to maybe try and find a RetroArch pack of BIOS? You can find the first and third easy, the second one if I recall can be renamed. Otherwise, what game is it? Are you using the Mednafen PS1 core? Is it a Japanese game with audio files? Is it a cue and iso combination or cue and bin?

As in second one you mean the Japanese bios, what ones can be renamed and to what would it be renamed to? The games I've tried are Hokuto no Ken: Seikimatsu Kyuuseishu Densetsu, and Sexy Parodius. Hokuto No Ken came with the .cue and two .bin files named identical to the cue except they have (Track 1) and (Track 2) at the end of the titles. Parodius has the cue and a .bin.ecm file thats named identical to the cue.

You need to unecm that, or rather get a new rip. I think I know where you got it and they offer notoriously bad rips of games for Disc based systems. I made a PS1 Tutorial and Dealt with the BIOS files. The mednafen info file has the names of the BIOS that you need, but the one that you can rename I don't think is Japanese. Regardless, a 1001 BIOS can be renamed to the 5001 BIOS and be just fine, they just all need to match the proper naming. I would venture a guess that the rip is potentially bad on all of them, especially anything you get that is ecm'ed.

I managed to get Hokuto no Ken to work. It was something to do with the cue, I had added extra text that the NTSC-U cue had. Thinking if I matched the layouts of the text in the cues it would work. Though the only reason I did that was because it didn't work originally. So now I'm not sure if it was the bios originally or my messing about with the cue. Either way it works now and I now know that the bios I'm currently using is correct. As for Parodius that still doesn't work, I'm going to grab another version from somewhere else. I think I've got this pretty much figured out thanks for your help Brad :)

• 4 years later...